Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a site that had step by step instructions with photos showing how to add some padding under the left side of the driver's seat. If anyone hasn't noticed you tend to lean toward the door and it can put your bum to sleep after driving for a while. I regret not bookmarking this site. Has anyone seen it? Also does anyone know a simple way of tightning a driver's power seat?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The original post was on the Durango Owners Club forum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmmm...
Does your seat feel loose? Does it seem to bump forward when you hit the brakes with any force? Cuz mine does and it's because of a broken piece of plastic under the seat. i had a whole big chunk of an assembly that broke off. Doesn't seem to effect the functionality of the seat so I have yet to fix it. Another problem I have with the seat is the damn trim piece that houses the switches snaggs my pant leg all the time. It finally ripped the (damn) trim peice off the bottom of the seat. So now it just kinda hangs there waiting for a new one. I super glued it once but the firts thing I did was snag with the pant leg again. :cussing:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I'm not sure what part is broken on yours but the "rocking seat" is well known and there is not really anything that can be done. If you tilt the front of the porwer seat up and look, there is simply some play in the power seat linkages that allow movement in the seat. People have tried replacing the power seat tracks and parts without success. The side panel on mine also broke off long ago. It was firs replaced by the dealer under warranty but the second one went also. You could see the stress in plastic around the mounting screw by the light streaks forming. I simply used longer screws and a large fender washer on the outside. I painted the washer flat black and it looks fine.

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,095 Posts
You guys ever think that you have a lop-sided ass? j/k...

Seriously, a broken seat mount is not a good thing & getting a decent, durable replacement track is a gamble. Mine has (fortunately) never broken, but I had (2) fail in my Camaro. My D's seat sits level...Neil has got the right idea, good luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Chrysler products are the only vehicles that don't put my bum to sleep. My old '85 New Yorker was like sitting on a leather reclining sofa! IMHO they have the best seats of any domestic car. GM isn't too bad, but the majority of Ford products just suck.

You wanna talk about a sleeper? Imagine driving a Mustang or Camaro of the same vintage and getting walked by a white 4 cylinder grampy car with whitewalls and wire hubcaps! I had pretty much everything that the Mopar Performance Super 60 kit included under the hood. From their calculations, that was 300 HP at the flywheel! All I know is it would break the front tires loose at 30 MPH when it hit full boost.

Guess I took this thread a little off-topic! :sorry:

·
Registered
2 Posts
tess said:
I ran across a site that had step by step instructions with photos showing how to add some padding under the left side of the driver's seat. If anyone hasn't noticed you tend to lean toward the door and it can put your bum to sleep after driving for a while. I regret not bookmarking this site. Has anyone seen it? Also does anyone know a simple way of tightning a driver's power seat?

Thanks!
http://www.dodgeboy.net/durango/seat/index.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info. My question is what happened to springs and nice, soft padding in the seats? They seem to get harder and harder every year, to the point where newer cars seats feel like folding chairs. Putting nice leather over a hard surface isn't going to make it comfortable, just look nice. Were the manufacturers trying to shave off more weight, or save a few pennies per car, or both? About a year ago, I drove a 40 something THOUSAND DOLLAR Lincoln Town Car, and the seats were terrible. For that kind of money it should feel like my living room couch. I used to have a Cadillac Brougham with the De Elegance Package, which was pillow top seats, and they were nice and comfy. The big three all had that in the mid to late 70s and 80s, and luxury cars were cushy.
Oh well thanks again.

·
Likes More Power!
226 Posts
At the expense of bringing up an old thread, I'm posting here due to relevance. I thought I had the "rocking chair" issue on the passenger seat of my '01 Durango. Regardless of position, it would slide back & forth about 1/2" or so, just enough to be irritating. I followed the steps in the above link and found my washers were not broken. I did notice something "gave" a little when I removed the seat (sorry, can't describe it any better than that). After I had the seat out, I noted the tracks had no slop in them as they had in the vehicle. Using the masterwrench illogic of "if it ain't broke don't fix/mod it", I reinstalled the seat. Voila, no more movement/slop.

I have no idea what happened, but my seat is fixed.

Hope this helps someone else along the line.

BTW, for the track to vehicle, 13mm hex bolts in the front and 19mm hex bolts for the rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.