Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working to rebuild a 2000 durango with a 4.7 liter, I bought a wrecked 2002 for parts. I changed all the doors and everything worked fine. (Windows, locks) Until I changed the driver's door, it seems the door plug is the same, but doesn't know how to read the inputs on the drivers side windows controls. Is there a work around for this?
Any info would be appreciated, the 02 has much nicer interior.

·
Scared? We're all scared
161 Posts
You'll probably have to look at wiring diagrams for both vehicles, but I think cut and slice is the only option

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am working to rebuild a 2000 durango with a 4.7 liter, I bought a wrecked 2002 for parts. I changed all the doors and everything worked fine. (Windows, locks) Until I changed the driver's door, it seems the door plug is the same, but doesn't know how to read the inputs on the drivers side windows controls. Is there a work around for this?
Any info would be appreciated, the 02 has much nicer interior.
No! Don't cut and splce!! Unpin and repin. Much more durable and professional. I'm not sure what your difference is but the plugs will be the same as you say.. Chances are the dash/cab harness is different as well. Since you have both trucks this should not be an issue...if you don't mind some extra work. The big difference between doors is the truck option level. Your 02 must be a loaded truck with extras like upgraded stereo, heated power mirrors etc. To simplify thingsbyou could study the wire pattern on the exixting truck and match the old wires up, repinning the conector to match. Personally I just did this to my Dakota Sport and it required my changing the entire hsrness and dash as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also, don't forget if the doner truck has more options the CTM will be different as well. This one of the biggest reasons for the complete harness swap in my case. But I was changing from manual windows to power windows...and door locks, and mirrors. You get the idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You'll probably have to look at wiring diagrams for both vehicles, but I think cut and slice is the only option
removing the pins from the connector is actually easier then cut and splice and so much more dependable. But you may need a tool to do it right, and that may be just a piece of tube or a bobby pin. You can't just pull them out that will ruin the terminal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
removing the pins from the connector is actually easier then cut and splice and so much more dependable. But you may need a tool to do it right, and that may be just a piece of tube or a bobby pin. You can't just pull them out that will ruin the terminal.
True. I just picked up a cheap set of terminsl picks off of eBay for. $5-$7, don't remember but it was not much. These make the job easy. The first one you do will take a little experimentation, so start on a junk piece of harness to practice. Once you figure it out it is really quite easy.

·
Scared? We're all scared
161 Posts
Yes, I stand corrected. Unpin and repin is a more professional job. However, a good splice, soldiered correctly can be just as effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts