Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
And we all know that once the engine is worn out, the entire truck is junk. to the scrap yard it goes!!!

oh...wait...that's right...it can be rebuilt! it's called "having fun with your ride" it's not a damn museum piece that needs babied. beat the ever loving snot out of it, and if it breaks, fix it, and go do it some more!

that's what hotrodding is all about!

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!:mullet:
exactly. thank you.

Reactions: 70Cuda383

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
And yet they bitch when it breaks :forehead:
Again, that's part of hotrodding! of course it's a let down when stuff breaks, but that's part of the game that we play!

meh. different strokes for different folks. you can go on ahead and baby your ride, never give it WOT, never lay down rubber coming away from a stop sign, never kick the back end out power sliding through a corner, just wash, wax, and put it around like my grandpa used to drive. that's fun to you, awesome! you're enjoying youself!

me, I'd rather push it to the limits, work it hard, because to me, it's fun to power slide through corners, drive at WOT listening to the motor scream as its working, and if it breaks...It broke when I was having fun. I'll fix it, get it back on the road, and go have more fun with it.

sports cars, muscle cars, sport trucks, mud trucks, off road trail rigs...they were all built to DRIVE, and to DRIVE HARD. and when you do that, parts break. that's why the aftermarket is flooded with tons of upgrade parts--break a stock rear axle? fix it and make it stronger so it won't happen again. too much power for your stock transmission? fix i and make it stronger so you use that power....

·
Se habla Español.
1,424 Posts
Again, that's part of hotrodding! of course it's a let down when stuff breaks, but that's part of the game that we play!

meh. different strokes for different folks. you can go on ahead and baby your ride, never give it WOT, never lay down rubber coming away from a stop sign, never kick the back end out power sliding through a corner, just wash, wax, and put it around like my grandpa used to drive. that's fun to you, awesome! you're enjoying youself!

me, I'd rather push it to the limits, work it hard, because to me, it's fun to power slide through corners, drive at WOT listening to the motor scream as its working, and if it breaks...It broke when I was having fun. I'll fix it, get it back on the road, and go have more fun with it.

sports cars, muscle cars, sport trucks, mud trucks, off road trail rigs...they were all built to DRIVE, and to DRIVE HARD. and when you do that, parts break. that's why the aftermarket is flooded with tons of upgrade parts--break a stock rear axle? fix it and make it stronger so it won't happen again. too much power for your stock transmission? fix i and make it stronger so you use that power....
Well said.

rep2u

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
sounds like my sister. she got her ram with 22s and sidepipes and shit and she drives like a grandma! she wont even do a burnout so of course when i took it out alone i did a nice burnout to make up for what she should have done.lol

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
I may do something stupid once in a great while, but often is never good. I would rather have a reliable ride then a POS.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
If you do it alot yes. Engines are like people running, they are not ment to go peak speed all the time, wear out. Why do you think there is an overdrive, for grandmas? Great example is motorcycles. Most sport bikes don't last 20k cause they are run hard! Even though they last as long as cars.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
An engines byproduct is heat, higher revs equal more heat. Heat is a very bad thing to components.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
An engines byproduct is heat, higher revs equal more heat. Heat is a very bad thing to components.
Thank you Dr. Quinn. :blahblah: Been driven like that for 303,000 miles including a trip 3000 mile trip to ohio last year getting 18 miles per gallon with the a/c running. But I agree if you don't know how to fix it you should drive like you do.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
If you do it alot yes. Engines are like people running, they are not ment to go peak speed all the time, wear out. Why do you think there is an overdrive, for grandmas? Great example is motorcycles. Most sport bikes don't last 20k cause they are run hard! Even though they last as long as cars.
Cool. glad to know I have a piece of shit sitting in the garage! I did not know that!

pssst! Please don't tell my wife, she'll be pissed to know I spend all that money to build a piece of shit.

by the way, I'm really confused by your last statement...Sport bikes don't last 20K cause they are run hard, even though they last as long as cars....what?!

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
I don't know about your stuff, but I beat on mine all the time, and the temps magically stay at 180 degrees...no. in this case, heat does not damage anything. if you're an idiot, and toss a fan belt while doing donuts, and you foolishly let your temps spike to over 250 degrees, then yea, you're gonna damage something, but when everything is operating as it should, the temps generated by the engine are not going to cause it any damage.

you know what wears engines out? poor maintenance. the only parts in an engine that should wear, are the piston rings against the cylinder walls. over a hundred thousand miles or so, this will start to put taper or an egg shape into the cylinder walls, which is why on rebuilds, we bore them .030 over, to clean it up and true the walls. but, the good news here is that with today's computer controlled, EFI, O2 sensors and feedback loops constantly adjusting air fuel ratios...these engines burn VERY clean, without excess fuel, and the result is that rings last much longer than before, engines are getting 200-300K miles when the bodies finally rot away from rust. before, the a carb'd motor would be all used up by 100K miles, but that's because carbs were tuned to purposly run rich, dumping excess fuel, to avoid lean conditions and burning holes in pistons. this excess fuel washed away a lot of oil off the cylinder walls, and thus, they didn't last as long.

the bearings MIGHT wear out, but only if you neglect oil changes, or do something else foolish, like run the wrong oil, over rev it and pump the pan dry before the top end can drain back to the oil pick up, causing momentary loss of pressure, things like that. but again, proper maintenance and paying attention to what you're doing...it's not a problem.

the only other thing that could go wrong on these modern engines, is sensors and injectors, but those should be considered "regular maintenance items" just like back in the day when they had to set the gap and dwell on points, change the spark plugs at EVERY oil change, etc.

anyway...normal operating heat will not "wear out" your engine.

psst...my 438 cubic inch big block--that's 7.2L is being cooled by the same radiator that my 3.9L V6 was being cooled by. at the start of a 1/4 mile run, my engine temps are around 180 degrees. at the end of a 1/4 mile run, my engine temps are 180 degrees. by the time I get to the pits, my engine temps are STILL 180 degrees.

what's the temp of your stock V8 as you baby it down the highway? oh yea...195 degrees!:stirthepo

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Ok, I'll let you believe your motor is just fine! :jester:

·
lost in translation
4,032 Posts
too each their own,wether you drive it hard,pamper it and baby it,it's your truck,,drive it how you want,everyone has their own driving habit's.personally i dont drive mine like i stole it,but here and now,,i'll get on it a lil bit,lol as my aunt always said,it's not always a bad thing,untill you get pulled..lol..nice truck to the op..

G

·
I'll have to admit, I didn't buy my RT to beat on but if I decide to light the as end up from time to time, I'm not afraid to do it. I guess I probably pamper it a little more than some people, but it does get stomped to the mat and the soot balls blown out ocassionally! :woot: :drive:

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
I horse beat my truck from time to time. But for the most part I'm off the throttle just rolling through town.

Of course, videos of trucks rolling off the throttle are no fun. Thus, we post pictures of donuts and burnouts. HELLO!?!?!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.