• Yes

Votes: 53 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 27.4%
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW what great reading for an old post topic , in my search to see how people change lash adjusters I came to this one reading how some bloke putting rubbish on the engine , and first thing comes to mind is THIS IS NOT A RACE ENGINE, and service (correct service) is a must , I am amazed how some even go to adding crap to try to free up sludge to a engine , when in the first place YOU RACE A ENGINE EXPECT THE OIL TO GET BURNT, hence changing oil is a must with the CORRECT TYPE OF OIL , for WHERE YOU LIVE (climate so on) now if you really need to add cleaner to a engine , has anyone thought of using DIESEL FUEL ,(about 200ml max) after all it is a oil of sorts , and is great to free up STUCK VALVES, of course you would need to drain out completely and change the oil filter , (even to reflush ) might cost a bit in oil but worth it, does anyone bother to measure the valve length ? it really DOES MATTER in these engines due to the lash adjusters are not adjustable, does anyone consider lash lock up ? where the lash adjuster is stuck on full and can cause the valve not to fully close ? carbon build up is the death of a engine , it can quickly block up the oil pick up , using the wrong type of oil in the engine can soon cause that engine to carbon up , a few times I have seen carbon build up on the top of the 4.7 cause it to fail , another great failure is press fit bearings ! YES INDEED, the rods are a snap fit type , if for a reason (or age) the rod gets a little out of shape THE BEARING WILL FAIL no point trying to fix the rod , as it is a snap fit , or just replacing new bearings into it , that little TANG does more for the engine than most people know. as for the MAINS well I never ... they do come in a special size , and a lot of times I have seen "standard" bearings placed in ? WOW big cause for oil pressure loss , and failure of a engine , it is the reason why they have the letters stamped on the tone ring , so if you do ever get one where it is still a good crank (which I doubt these days) FOLLOW THE TONE RING . it also helps to measure it just to be sure. to me every engine turns into a lemon only because the people driving and looking after them are shit boxes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW what great reading for an old post topic , in my search to see how people change lash adjusters I came to this one reading how some bloke putting rubbish on the engine , and first thing comes to mind is THIS IS NOT A RACE ENGINE, and service (correct service) is a must , I am amazed how some even go to adding crap to try to free up sludge to a engine , when in the first place YOU RACE A ENGINE EXPECT THE OIL TO GET BURNT, hence changing oil is a must with the CORRECT TYPE OF OIL , for WHERE YOU LIVE (climate so on) now if you really need to add cleaner to a engine , has anyone thought of using DIESEL FUEL ,(about 200ml max) after all it is a oil of sorts , and is great to free up STUCK VALVES, of course you would need to drain out completely and change the oil filter , (even to reflush ) might cost a bit in oil but worth it, does anyone bother to measure the valve length ? it really DOES MATTER in these engines due to the lash adjusters are not adjustable, does anyone consider lash lock up ? where the lash adjuster is stuck on full and can cause the valve not to fully close ? carbon build up is the death of a engine , it can quickly block up the oil pick up , using the wrong type of oil in the engine can soon cause that engine to carbon up , a few times I have seen carbon build up on the top of the 4.7 cause it to fail , another great failure is press fit bearings ! YES INDEED, the rods are a snap fit type , if for a reason (or age) the rod gets a little out of shape THE BEARING WILL FAIL no point trying to fix the rod , as it is a snap fit , or just replacing new bearings into it , that little TANG does more for the engine than most people know. as for the MAINS well I never ... they do come in a special size , and a lot of times I have seen "standard" bearings placed in ? WOW big cause for oil pressure loss , and failure of a engine , it is the reason why they have the letters stamped on the tone ring , so if you do ever get one where it is still a good crank (which I doubt these days) FOLLOW THE TONE RING . it also helps to measure it just to be sure. to me every engine turns into a lemon only because the people driving and looking after them are shit boxes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2008 4.7 has 150,000 miles and still runs smooth as silk. I love this engine, other than the water pump one time, it never gave me trouble.

No lifter tick to speak of. Listen for yourself in this video:

The clicking sound is a mix of the spark plug coils and injectors. There is lifter tick at startup. But fades after a minute or so.

I always throw a shot of Lucas in my crank case and I always use Royal Purple from day 1. Runs like a top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 86 of 86 Posts