• Yes

Votes: 53 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 27.4%
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
No noise on startup. I use a NAPA Gold 1085 oil filter with the drain-back flap, and Mobil1 synthetic 5w30 hi-mileage every 4500-5000 miles. The only time the valve covers have come off was for HO cams @100K. One water pump replaced. 280,000 miles reached this week. :bs2: for those who say Chrysler's last USA built V8 isn't top notch! It's still largely true that if don't know the history of a used vehicle, you're buying someone else's problems.
I agree with you, take care of it atleast a little and it will last a long time. The pedal gets pushed flat against the floor as often as possible on both my Ram and my brothers Dakota.

Just an example of what a "daily drive" consists of.

Dakota

Ram

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would also have to say yes. Mine makes a rattling sound for about 3-5 seconds and then makes a slight tapping noise for another 10 seconds. Then it is quiet as ever. Would both sounds be considered valve lash noise?? Mine has 112k on it. I have had it since 50k. It was used as a police vehicle. So even though it only had 50k on it, I am sure it had several hours of idling time. It uses about a quart every 3k. I knew I was rolling the dice when I bought it but I needed a vehicle to last me a couple of years until I could afford a newer one. My wife's Mazda had the trans go out for the second time so we had to buy her a new car. 62k miles and 4 years later I am still driving it. I love it. My only complaint is the gas mileage but what do you expect?

Kevin

·
Registered
863 Posts
No noise on startup. I use a NAPA Gold 1085 oil filter with the drain-back flap, and Mobil1 synthetic 5w30 hi-mileage every 4500-5000 miles. The only time the valve covers have come off was for HO cams @100K. One water pump replaced. 280,000 miles reached this week. :bs2: for those who say Chrysler's last USA built V8 isn't top notch! It's still largely true that if don't know the history of a used vehicle, you're buying someone else's problems.
Is that the correct part number for the filter?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The 1085 holds about twice the oil of the dinky OEM filter that cam on my '01. I've basically used this size filter on my Mopars since 1977, even on the little 2.2 4-cylinders in the 80's. :banana2:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Sweet so how much oil total...i.e. is 6 quarts enough or do I need a topper bottle?
6 quarts is perfect. If you are worried about the "smidgen", check the dipstick level after 1 or 2K more miles. One thing to consider, always check a 4.7's oil level with the truck parked on a flat surface. Any slight incline/tilt can throw the reading off.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I had a noise in mine on startup that I eventually found it to be a bad timing chain tensioner chain was very loose.

·
Welder, kinda
16 Posts
I get the same startup noise that can be heard loudest from either wheel well, but I don't think it is a manifold issue. Once it quiets down after 30sec or so and only on cold start-up, I can't hear it up top over the fuel injectors, but I still hear a little tap from underneath with my ears near (not on) the oil pan. It stands out from the normal sound or whir of moving machinery (hard to describe).

I haven't been able to pinpoint it with a stethescope.

I'm not an an auto industry guy, but I do mostly all my maint and repair work. So, how can I tell the difference between lash tick and worn rod/ main bearing or cam chain component problems?

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
I get the same startup noise that can be heard loudest from either wheel well, but I don't think it is a manifold issue. Once it quiets down after 30sec or so and only on cold start-up, I can't hear it up top over the fuel injectors, but I still hear a little tap from underneath with my ears near (not on) the oil pan. It stands out from the normal sound or whir of moving machinery (hard to describe).

I haven't been able to pinpoint it with a stethescope.

I'm not an an auto industry guy, but I do mostly all my maint and repair work. So, how can I tell the difference between lash tick and worn rod/ main bearing or cam chain component problems?
A timing chain noise will be heard loudest at the front of the motor where the chains are located, main or rod bearing noises generally speaking will be "deeper" sounding then a tick or tap, by deeper I mean pitch wise not just deeper into the engine. Ive heard a couple soccer mom owned Grand Cherokees with rod knocking 4.7s and they didn't sound pretty at all lol. The way you describe it it definitely sounds like a slight lash adjuster tick, and as long as it doesn't get loud or start to happen non stop it's nothing to concern yourself about.

·
Condoms prevent minivans
538 Posts
I originally said "no" to this survey, but now things have changed! Since the temp outside has dropped to freezing and near-freezing, cold starts sound like a coffee can filled with nuts and bolts! Now, this by itself isn't unusual... What is, is the loud ticking I'm getting from the passenger-side cylinders. It's not the broken manifold stud; sounds different. It's loud, runs with the rev level, and very abruptly disappears once it warms up. I bought the truck used 3 years ago, had 80,000 (128,000km) on the clock... Using Syntec during the winter, Royal Purple in the summer, and I use the Fram Synthetic filters. Change oil every 5000 miles (8000km) and I'm at 130,000 miles now...

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I originally said "no" to this survey, but now things have changed! Since the temp outside has dropped to freezing and near-freezing, cold starts sound like a coffee can filled with nuts and bolts! Now, this by itself isn't unusual... What is, is the loud ticking I'm getting from the passenger-side cylinders. It's not the broken manifold stud; sounds different. It's loud, runs with the rev level, and very abruptly disappears once it warms up. I bought the truck used 3 years ago, had 80,000 (128,000km) on the clock... Using Syntec during the winter, Royal Purple in the summer, and I use the Fram Synthetic filters. Change oil every 5000 miles (8000km) and I'm at 130,000 miles now...
First...Stop that! Use Wix (Napa Gold) filters, or any other quality filter out there. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com if you need help selecting a filter.

You could have a leaking manifold gasket, or cracked manifold. The cast iron manifolds are somewhat prone to cracking, and will leak until warmed up and expanded, which "seals" the crack.

·
Condoms prevent minivans
538 Posts
It's not the manifold - that does have a broken stud, but this sound is on top of that sound. I'll be posting a video shortly. The manifold leak is a tick/puff sound, this is just a (loud) tick. It seems to be centred around the #4 hole.
Also - the Wix/Napa Gold filter - do they last as long as the Fram Synthetic (not standard) filter?

·
Condoms prevent minivans
538 Posts
:funny: thats when I stopped reading :funny:
I'm glad you're amused. The standard Frams are junk, but the synthetic ones are a whole different animal completely. Never had a problem with them. How many miles will the Wix/Napa Gold last?

41 - 60 of 86 Posts