• Yes

Votes: 53 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 27.4%
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I voted yes, but only for a minute or so after it's sat for a while. Pretty much silent after that.
Mine is the same. All these 4.7s seem to do it, so I guess it's normal. Being a mechanic, my Dak gets more oil changes than it really needs and I have great oil pressure (according to the cluster guage anyway!):banana2:.

·
Banned
2,773 Posts
what's a lash adjuster noise?

·
Condoms prevent minivans
538 Posts
I voted no, as the ticking I get at startup is a broken exhaust manifold stud. Very common on 4.7s. Also a great excuse to get headers :stirthepo

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts

·
Banned
2,773 Posts
Because no one wants to answer me..

I assume the crappy sound it makes when its started in the motor? Yeah my truck sounds like that for a few minutes. Then it's smooth and too quite. Makes me have to check the RPMs and I hate wasting my valuable time doing so - I should be texting.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Because no one wants to answer me..
Basically speaking, its a lifter tap noise. 4.7Ls are SOHC motors so they don't have traditional lifters, they have a much smaller version of a lifter called a lash adjuster that basically keeps the cam followers in constant contact with the camshaft and the valve at all times, they work in the exact same way as a lifter they just don't move.

·
MOPAR!
11 Posts
That's a big yes for me!

·
Banned
2,773 Posts
Ahh good to know.

I had a Titan. Had a tick and nothing would get rid of it. You couldn't hear it standing outside infront of the truck, but open the hood and you could hear it with ease.

Nothing new to me.

Good schooling on me though. At least now I know what it is..didn't even know they had something like that

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Mine is the same. All these 4.7s seem to do it, so I guess it's normal. Being a mechanic, my Dak gets more oil changes than it really needs and I have great oil pressure (according to the cluster guage anyway!):banana2:.
Your sig shows you have an 04, in 03 they changed the gauge/sender to a gauge/switch setup that shows you have pressure but not how much. It activates the "gauge" needle to swing about 1/2 way and doesn't vary with rpm like the 02 and earlier do.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Your sig shows you have an 04, in 03 they changed the gauge/sender to a gauge/switch setup that shows you have pressure but not how much. It activates the "gauge" needle to swing about 1/2 way and doesn't vary with rpm like the 02 and earlier do.
Thanks for the advice:mullet:, I will put a gauge on it sometime to check the exact pressure. Stupid idea having a gauge that only reads "pressure" or "no pressure" if you ask me.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Thanks for the advice:mullet:, I will put a gauge on it sometime to check the exact pressure. Stupid idea having a gauge that only reads "pressure" or "no pressure" if you ask me.
Agreed, Ford does the same thing on a lot of vehicles, they only do basically the same thing as an "idiot light".

·
I drive with two feet
1,615 Posts
Only makes noise on my Durango when the oil level is too low. It eats a little more than a quart in 3000 miles. If I neglect changing it for too long the lifter clatter at startup (only) will remind me to take it in...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts