Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2002 Dakota with the 4.7 and I am trying to plan out my build for it. I have most of it figured out (build the 4.7 or Hemi swap it) but I can't find anyone selling cams. I know that I can get a used set of HO cams but I want something more aggressive than that. I have also read that you can have OE cams ground to the profile desired however I am concerned that when this is done the hardened steel is machined away leaving a softer wear layer exposed which would reduce longevity.

1) Does anyone sell performance camshafts?

2) Is a regrind a good idea and are my assumptions about the hardened steel just a bunch of BS?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Tommy. Can you or anyone else recommend a company that is known for this service when it comes to our 4.7 motors?

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,241 Posts
Thanks for the info Tommy. Can you or anyone else recommend a company that is known for this service when it comes to our 4.7 motors?
Not much out there. I'm not sure if Crane will still do regrinds of the ho cams.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The question for you is, what is your HP goal for this engine? What do you want this engine to be able to do?? About the only way to get a 4.7 to make big HP is to put a blower (or turbo) on the engine thats pumping some PSIs, and build the bottom end to handle the boost. Other than that, going the N/A route with a 4.7 will be an uphill battle.

If it were me, I'd elect to go with a Hemi swap or a 5.9 Magnum swap. Both of these engines have huge support

Ed

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,241 Posts
I forgot about crane think krs closed...You know I've been thinking about doing my cams lately because I've always wanted to do the 212x cams

Morarsz how much are you looking for on the 08 came
I can do $325 shipped for the 08+ cams. I also have some 08+ intakes and ho cams available

1 - 9 of 9 Posts