Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Dakota R/T back in may and I’ve noticed since purchasing it that both power locks are kind of weak. They sometimes fully unlock the doors when I use the inside switch, I don’t have a key fob yet but I assume it’ll act the same way. Should I just get a new actuator or is there another way to fix this problem.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
382 Posts
The fact that is both locks makes me think it's more likely a connection rather than both actuators.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fact that is both locks makes me think it's more likely a connection rather than both actuators.
I thought that too so I pulled the panels off and checked the connects for corrosion or being loose, both were fine. The passenger side is much stronger than the driver side but it still seems a little weak. The driver side is terrible however, I’d have to press the unlock button twice for it to get close to unlocking or fully unlocking. The passenger side sometimes has an issue with unlocking on the first try.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
382 Posts
Ah you didn't say that in your original post. In that case, I'd probably start hunting down some actuators.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alrighty then, thank you for responding. I just needed a second opinion before I start spending money.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
382 Posts
Sometimes the actuators can be dismantled and lubed. You may need to drill out some rivets and replace with screws.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just replaced the passenger side actuator on my 2000 Dakota as the gears stripped, 6 months later it doesn't work at all and has always seemed stiff on that side but I can't figure out why

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
382 Posts
Is it hard to unlock the door using the key? If so, that means it's hard for the actuator as well. Lube up the mechanism.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought I did when we replaced it. It's being passed down to my new driver son and he's stripping it down for a repaint so I will address this again when we pull the exterior handles off. He's already tore off the front end to repaint the bumper plastics. Mom's freaking out a little ( why are you letting him tear the truck apart) Well it's going to be his and if he's willing to put in the work why not encourage him to sharpen his skills I didn't collect all these tools over the yrs to be used as some sort of trophies LOL. Get after it young man and when you can't remember how it all goes back together invest in the FSM.

·
Registered
78 Posts
well come to find out some how it came unplugged but it still is very stiff and we've tracked it down to the actuator it self that is unusually stiff not sure what the (fix ) is there. but we'll get back to that later. Paint so far is turning out very nice. I may start a thread on our progress here's a hint metallic patriot blue pearl (original paint color) then the first coat of clear gets gun metal pearl added to it.
It is truly amazing what happened when we did this (color shifting Dakota) truly awesome and was totally unexpected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts