Dakota Durango Forum banner

Do Jet Chips Increase performance?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have heard a lot of talk about these "jet chips" as far as i can tell some people say they work while others don't well lets now find out by majority if they do in fact work or not. And their thoughts on why or why not..

Also what are the differences in PCM modification and other forms of the Jet chips?

Thank you

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jet Chips are crap!!!! anyone that has installed one and dynoed it will tell you this. :rwhiz:JET CHIPS

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I recently bought a Stage 2 Jet Chip off a member here who wasn't happy with it. I for one, noticed a difference. Stage 2 requires, a 180 degree thermostat, and 93+ octane gas. Also, Stage 2 is for modified trucks. It works best with intake, headers, exhaust.

I already had a 180 thermo, I threw on a 360's Intake and the Jet Chip at the same time. I for one felt a difference, truck it's smoother, and accelerates a bit quicker with ease. It by no means is a major change, but it's better with it. At first I was scared about having to pump super unleaded at $2.08 a gallon. But after doing the math, I'm only saving $4 if I pump 87......might as well plunk that $4 for the 93!

Soon I'm going to throw on a dual exhaust and it should free up some HP.

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Over time the jet chip really does nothing because the pcm learns what it does and takes it back to where it used to since it is a piggyback unit. Get a mopar pcm of a custom flash.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Yeah the jet chips are junk, but the hapertech power programer is nice and works well. You can also check and clear codes with it as well. it does alot of cool stuff.

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
Yeah I have the Stage II and don't really see any difference myself ran a 17.5 before and haven't been able to get a better time since so i don't feel there worth the money...

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
The Jet chips suck because the pcm will earn around them as said earlier. And before they learn you will prolly ping even on 93.

·
Registered
7 Posts
not really that bad

im using the stage 1 chip. the most noticable difference is the way it shifts. makes it alot smoother but the dyno side, it only added 2hp and 4trq. i contacted the manufacture since they claimed 15-25 more hp and they told me that the specs they have are from a fully stock truck and the chip. and they dont do custom flashes. i wouldve rather spent my money elsewhere.

:jester:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
my mopar pcm changed the following-1)changed shift points from 4800rpm to 5200rpm 2)changed rev limiter from 5200rpm to 6200rpm?(i haven't got that high) 3)omits high speed limiter 4)gives the engine more timing advance,but don't even think about running anything but 93 octane.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My last 3 vehicles now have all had the 4.7. I had a Stage 1 and 2. I didn't notice much difference between 1 & 2. I eventually sold the Stage 2. I never had any of my vehicles on the dyno, but they did pull stronger with the chips. It firmed up the shifts on the transmission and made the engine more responsive. They WILL NOT remove the governor on the 4.7 equipped vehicles though. I now have the Superchips programmer and it seems to make the vehicle a little more responsive than the Jet Chip. None of them seem to add a great deal of power, but they all seem to help some.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've read through this thread but had gotten a Stage 2 jetchip anyway being that it was less that $150 shipped which is less than half of what any of the superchips tuners. Never havign used the tuners, I can't compare, but for the money I spent, I just want to say that I've noticed definite improvements in the shifting and response of my automatic and as far as power, I started using 89 at the pump and I'd say any improvements were my imagination had a friend of mine not also commented on my truck having more seat-of-your-pants power. I have no dyno's of before or after, so nothing solid, but just wanted to offer my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Too bad it won't remove the stock governor. Not a bad deal but get a programmer when you can. Being able to check codes, adjust tire size, remove governor, raise the rpm limiter makes it worth it. Haven't tried a custom PCM flash yet but I heard they work well.

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Jet Chips are junk!!!, they claim to "Interupt" the signals that go into the computer because it piggybacks it, the information comes in, goes through the chip, then out into the PCM. (this is what they claim anyway) Well i have one sitting right here in front of me taken apart and the pins go directly through!!! Nothing is "interupted" what so ever. Why would the current want to pass through the chip if it has a direct shot right into the PCM through the pins?? I also noticed that some of the few pins that had any connection to the chip what so ever, soon came to a "dead end" on the board before it even reached ANY kind of curcuitry!?!?!?! :bs2:

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
I wont get into complicated physics formulas. But what you are looking at is a parallel resistor circuit. Which WILL affeect the way the egine/pcm communicate. Even though it looks like a straight shot, the voltage is altered.

once again, I DO NOT RECOMMEND getting a jet "chip"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Someone on the old Durango forum dynoed his truck before the Jet install, after, and a couple of months after. It was confirmed that the most noticeable difference comes right after installing the chip. His last dyno run showed that his truck had nearly identical numbers as before he installed the Jet chip. Expensive lesson learned.

If someone wants to take a crack at finding the post, be my guest ----> http://www.durangoclub.com/ceilidh/ceilidh.html . The forum software is a relic of the late 80's and the search function seems like it was programmed by a 6th grader in computer class.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the stage one on my 98 DAK R/T, piece of junk, when i would stop at a light or go through a drive trough I would get a really rough idle, it was horible, called KRC they tolled me to throw it away so i did, then i got the mopar performace pcm and it turned out well 10x better than the jet chip

1 - 19 of 19 Posts