Discussion Starter #1
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-9722104/

Straighten out crimped, dented, and crushed
exhaust tubing with our Summit tailpipe expanders. Just
a twist of the hex bar and the rugged alloy steel tool
expands in all directions, restoring roundness. Use
one with your impact wrench for heavier tubing and
serious dents
I need to punch out a clamp groove, but I also need to expand a pipe by about 1/8 inch. Will this expand the pipe, or can it only restore it?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
It'll expand it - just make sure the pipe you are expanding is within the size limits if the tool.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have them in a variety of size ranges. I need 3"o.d. to 3.125 i.d as well as a few other odd sizes. This is cheaper than having a shop do it for me more than once.

And yes, I have access to impact tools :)

·
Banned
9,045 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
so thats what it takes to make them work
Beats the hell outta trying to hold onto the pipe and turn the expander with a ratchet or wrench.........1/2" impact gun - quick zip and it's all done.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
One my of side pipes fell off, and I ran over it. The slip fit part was completely flattened. The same part is currently back on the truck. They work, lol.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I ordered it last night. So at the very least I will try it out.

GWhaley, do you have any tips or tricks? Is there a particular gauge that was too thick?

I assume if it is tough to budge, I can heat up the metal. I look forward to trying it!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Well, I ordered it last night. So at the very least I will try it out.

GWhaley, do you have any tips or tricks? Is there a particular gauge that was too thick?

I assume if it is tough to budge, I can heat up the metal. I look forward to trying it!
Regular exhaust pipe won't be a problem.

I've used them to expand every size of pipe from regular passenger car pipes to ones off of a Mack truck. (My dads set does from 1 1/2" all the way up to 10") If you are having a tough time, just heat up the metal a bit - you shouldn't have an issue.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
Yea they work great. Dad worked for Maremont for 28 years distributing OEM replacement exhaust and suspension parts to part stores. If you were close enough Id say come on over since I have all his tools now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea they work great. Dad worked for Maremont for 28 years distributing OEM replacement exhaust and suspension parts to part stores. If you were close enough Id say come on over since I have all his tools now.
me <-- envy

lol. Thanks for the confidence. Shipped this morning, and should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With the limited experience I have with using one I would say it works.
I bought a stainless cat back exhaust for my 325is and one of the tail pipes was somewhat squished and this tool brought it back to round.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should be posting pictures of that 'pipe expander'. It was destroyed the first attempt. I have to see what Summit is going to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts