Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
the only thing i see wrong with that is that your camber is going to be f*d up...ruin your tires...daks can only be adjusted about an inch and i dont think you can get the proper alignment. you can try it, its only 20 bucks...but if you going that low i would suggest that you go with control arms.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it would be a 2" drop for a R/T do you still think it might be ok. It will only be a inch lower than hotchkis.

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
I lowered the front of my truck with 3" coils. Not DJM coils but still coils. The alignment is fine, even with 255 wide tires on 9" wide rims. It is pretty close to maxed out however as far as the camber goes.

For $20.00 dollars, what have you got to lose. Sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

Your'e gonna need to go with lower profile bumpstops up front and swapping out the shocks for shorter ones would be a good idea for ride quality, although you can run the stock shocks.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much will the lower profile bump stops run and wheres the best place to get them. I guess I can't put these on until I have something for the rear too.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also what shocks would you reccommend.

Do you think the Hotchkis/Bilstein shocks would work? I'm just trying to save money and not have to keep buying different shocks cause one day I plan on having the full Hotchkis TVS on

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
:D Just a few things here:

I wouldn't recommend dropping the front of your truck that much without doing something proportionally in the rear also. Most trucks have a 2" rake for the suspension already built into the design for hauling stuff.
In other words, if you drop the "rear" of your truck "2" it should be sitting comparatively level. If this is only gonna be a temporary thing you could use 2" blocks out back and your R/T will have a 2" drop all way around.
I say temporary because the blocked rear won't ride as well compared with doing it with hangers or shackles or different leaf springs. You will also have the issue of "axle wrap" when you get on the throttle.

Stock height tires out front will rub the fender lips with a drop that much also. So if your'e still running the 255/55R17's] out front there gonna rub. The rear tires won't be a problem.
When I did the 3" drop on the front of my Quadcab I had to go with a lower profile [27" tall] tire to stop the tires from rubbing.

Just a few considerations to ponder.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so now I might have some 2" belltech blocks comming for 45 shipped brand new still in box with plastic.

So with both of these on I will be ok then. What about the hotchkis shocks? and my 255/55/17 tires will rub up front! In the rear I have 275/60/17 there ok

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok belltech drop blocks are on there way!! now can i drop the back with out doing the front? this will make the truck the same in the front as in the rear right.

S

·
0 Posts
does all that hold true for a 4X4??? How low can you drop it if at all? I realize you guys think im crazy for wanting to lower a 4X4 but i want to build this truck for power & SPEED. Did i go wrong buying the 4X4?

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
Adam,

Best thing to do to get an idea of where your truck is gonna sit is to take some measurements.

Park your truck on a flat level surface, take a tape measure and lay it against the side of the tire. Measure from the ground to the underside of the fender lip of your wheel well in the middle. Do some comparative measurements at the front and the back to find out how much higher your truck is in the back.

On my Quadcab with a 3/5 drop the measurements are all exact. About 29 1/2" if I remember correctly. My truck sits perfectly level. Not bad when you consider I'm running 27" tall tires all around. 2 1/2" of clearance from the top of the tire to the undersides of the fender wheel well openings.

Out front: Get some lower profile tires and aftermarket bumpstops. Shocks are optional but recommended.

Out back: Throw your two inch blocks on. May or may not have to shave your bumpstops.

After that, you'll be "LOW & BAD" my friend! :cool:

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
Sonnic said:
does all that hold true for a 4X4??? How low can you drop it if at all? I realize you guys think im crazy for wanting to lower a 4X4 but i want to build this truck for power & SPEED. Did i go wrong buying the 4X4?
No Sonnic, I don't think your crazy man! The question has been asked before, I'm sure.

Lowering a 4X4 is a lot tougher than a 2 wheel drive. At best I think you may be able to get it down to somewhere near a stock height Dakota 2 wheel drive.
The rear isn't the problem. It's the front with the torsion bars and front drive axles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts