Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Big red
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking to get a bedliner so i was looking at autozone and i can get a DIY kit for about a 100 bucks, anyone got any idea if these diy kits are just junk or is it worth it and how difficult is it?

Secondly, i got a hard fiberglass tonneau cover and im looking to paint it red because its silver and doesnt match at all, to have it done they are quoting 400 and that seems a little steep, is there a way i can do this myself to make it look decent? please keep in mind that i dont have a spray booth or access to one any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated

·
Dakota GOD!!!
4,156 Posts
Actually I like the DIY bedliners. I did mine with the hurculiner from Autozone. It looks great and holds up well. The main thing behind it is to be patient when doing it. Sand everything real well.
Alot of people dislike it because either they have never tired it or they have seen it done but crappy with out the bed being sanded well.
And I almost forgot Cover everything you do not want liner on or else it will not come off. Do wear gloves too.

As for the bed cover:
If you cannot afford to get a pro to paint it. You could try to paint it with spray paint BUT its just like the bed liner you MUST be very patient! I have seen people on here paint there hoods and other parts on there trucks and they look great! If you need help or steps to paint the cover let me know and i can try to help. I know how to paint. I aint a pro but I painted my own truck in a automotive refinishing course at my highschool this year. I hope this helps!

·
Dakota GOD!!!
4,156 Posts
I did a little search because i dont want to type alot lol and I actually found a good write-up on how to paint fiberglass. They guy is talking about painting a fiberglass speaker box but it is more or less the same concept.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2291644_audio-projects-using-spray-paint.html

Only thing is that you will need ALOT more paint.
And when you paint you will wont to spray the paint just like this guys *leaving no space between each time you cross*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6t6tDelvQw&eurl=http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Paint-Fiberglass

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
make sure you sand the cover well and wipe it down with a tack ra and acetone. you want something that flashes fast and doesnt leave a oily film.
I painted my shell and tonneau with over the counter spray paint and they turned out just fine. jsut make sure you take your time and read the directions. My shell turned out fine. There are a few runs in it but that was because i got in a hurry

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
I fixed a large crack in my tonno that occured in shipping, I bet you can't find where it was. Fiberglass is not that hard to learn, just read up a bit and you'll be fine. Make sure to sand it REALLY well and perhaps skim coat the area filler to make sure it is completely smooth and level.

·
Registered
140 Posts
id say let a pro do it, cant tell you how many times a first timer muc'ed up a super easy job. But if you insist, and the red paint is in good condition (no cracks, checking, etc.....looks good just the wrong color) then go buy some scotch brite pads, scuff the area you plan to paint, wipe it down with a wax and grease remover, (napathane) tack it off with a tack cloth. this is the important part, go to a real auto body and paint supply store, give them your paint code and tell them to put it in a aerasol can. then tell them you want 2 cans of high solids clear coat in a spray can too, since your truck is silver you may have some color flop due to the spray can, but it cant be helped. When you do spray the cover make sure you do light even coats and overlap by half. you should come out decent by using this method......DONT RUN THE CLEAR COAT, the spray can stuff does not buff out worth a rats ass.

if you wanna a bedliner, get soem UPOL raptor liner, ive got it in my truck and its awesome stuff, just scuff up the entire bed with 180 grit, and spray away

·
Registered
140 Posts
even better.....now you dont have to worry about color flop, if its the flame red the paint code is r8 i think, red matches alot better than any other color besides black

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport 4.7L V8
127 Posts

I did an DIY bed liner and I think it turned out awesome! Even custom cut a 5/8” gym mat for added protection and anti slip. Prep and patience are the keys to a nice finish!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts