Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fishing technician
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently installed 2 amps to power my components, and 1 amp to power my single 12. The 2 amps I have powering my components are Hifonics 400 2-channel amps. The amp I have powering my sub is a alpine mrp-m500. When the bass hits the lights dim. I know I should probably upgrade alternator. Do you guys think im running too much power harming my alternator?

·
Schaw Flapping Pus
2,274 Posts
What kind of battery do you have? You might want to upgrade to a optima (yellow Top). Have you done the Big three yet? Alternator would help too. Where is your ground for your amps?

·
Fishing technician
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
factory battery I believe, I havent done the big 3 yet. I believe I used the bolts that hold the seats down as ground. Not really sure that is a good ground or not. Any ideas on where I should relocate to a better ground?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dont need a new alternator. Just go for a yellowtop in the back with the stock batt under the hood. Big 3 also helps. My lights barely dim and im running 5k watts to an 18" btl with a stock alt.

·
WorthySK1LLZ
12 Posts
dude just buy a capacitor! look it up! wat it does is stores power from your battery and so when you need power it can deliver it much faster than you battery can my subs alon dim my lights and i had to get one!

·
Registered
667 Posts
dude just buy a capacitor! look it up! wat it does is stores power from your battery and so when you need power it can deliver it much faster than you battery can my subs alon dim my lights and i had to get one!

I just want to make sure you're joking, right? :jester:

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
i was thinking capacitor as well.. but when i installed it on my beater, a. the lights didnt dim.. but b. i dont think they dimmed to begin with..

now in my new beater I omitted the capacitor and the lights dim.. but this car is a class under my other car.. I didnt re-install the capacitor because i left it in the other beater when it went to the junk yard cuz i didnt think it did anything :huh:

so a capacitor is worth a shot.. its easy to install anyway.. and you can get them pretty cheap on the ebay

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Caps are nothing more than a band-aid to the real problem. The factory battery, wiring, and alternator cant handle a current draw much bigger than whats being used already. An Optima yellow top battery, and upgraded wiring will do wonders for you.

·
Fishing technician
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Caps are nothing more than a band-aid to the real problem. The factory battery, wiring, and alternator cant handle a current draw much bigger than whats being used already. An Optima yellow top battery, and upgraded wiring will do wonders for you.
Yea, thats what I thought about the cap too it was more of a temporary fix. Im going to upgrade to the Big 3 and find better grounds for the amps. If that doesnt work ill try a deep cycle battery or a kinetik.

·
Fishing technician
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont need a new alternator. Just go for a yellowtop in the back with the stock batt under the hood. Big 3 also helps. My lights barely dim and im running 5k watts to an 18" btl with a stock alt.
Your running 5000RMS and it barely dims? I dont know if the 5.2L have more amperage than the 130A on my 4.7L, ohhh and 18 BTL's are nice. Bet you have a sweet setup.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yea, thats what I thought about the cap too it was more of a temporary fix. Im going to upgrade to the Big 3 and find better grounds for the amps. If that doesnt work ill try a deep cycle battery or a kinetik.
Just the big 3 upgrade and a good battery should be plenty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts