Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this is on an old Plymouth I have but I can see the Dakota guys doing something like this; anyone ever put a T5/T56 into one?
I just bought a conversion bell from QuickTime for a 318/360-to T5.
they are coming out with a different one (SFI approved for faster than 11.99 quarter mile times) Not a concern for me as I don't plan on drag racing this thing. they have 4 of these Mopar smallblock to T5 bells left as of yesterday at a clearance price of $250.
EDIT; this bell IS SFI to 6.something; he has others there on site certified to a higher number; personally I am oblivious to what those numbers mean.
I have an AX 15 here and was gonna use that but 1) I dont like the idea the AX is a "Jap" trans; this is a Mopar not a Toyota. I want something American. (hence the T5)
2) I have an AX 15 in my Wrangler; 3.95 1st, is about useless. so with a lower (higher numerically) gear and shorter tires, it will be even more so.
along that line I dont like the 1-2 gear split either of the AX 15; too much for my liking.

Russ at Quicktime is a huge help took more time than I expected to explain answers to my questions and answered a couple more that I wasn't thinking about as well.
they have bells to put about any trans behind any engine auto or stick from what I saw on their website. Ford Chev Mopar
stock motor to same brand trans, and several combos of Brand X engine to Btand Y trans.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
well a roadblock... I don't have the QT bell yet... it's only 2 days since ordering it (not the "roadblock" I refer to)
"my bad".
You see I want to run my 318 Mag as an injected engine with the harness I have from a 94 Dak. I cant w/o the crank sensor. all the 318 Mag flywheels are 143 teeth; I need this one for the tone wheel deal to trigger the crank sensor. But all theirs are listed as being for 130 tooth flywheels.

I was under the mistaken idea that unless you had an old school granny gear 4 speed all SB flywheels were 130-tooth. I guess not.
So I might have to return that bell and go to Plan B.
EDIT; I have been swapping E mails back n forth with Ross and he explained why they don't "do" 143 tooth bells for this engine; like I've said he's been a real help; he gave me a couple other references to se if there is an alternative way to trigger the crank sensor (front of crank maybe?) and if that pans out, I will still run this bellhousing in my project.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am definitely interested in hearing more about the bellhousing... That would be awesome to swap an affordable good manual trans...

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ross gave me 2 different references; a T5 "guru" and a "brand X trans to Mopar" guru; this guy's rumored to be the guy that got all the kinks out of the TKO-to- Mopar swap for Keisler;(I did not ask him if that was true) I called this guy (another great guy, he took nearly an hour to talk with me about what I plan to do);
if either (1) someone made a 130 tooth flywheel with the crank sensor tone ring or (2) I could run say an MSD type pickup I'd have kept the QT bell; or if I could decide for sure whether to run the OBD-I setup I have on it (from a 94 V8 Dakota) or a carb, and swayed towards the "carb side" of that debate I'd have kept it; a VERY nice well built piece.
but since I am not yet sure what kind of fuel sys to run, I want to stay versatile , able to run either way. so since QT does not make a bell to run a Magnum 143 tooth flywheel (of which I already have) I met the UPS guy at the door and sent it back.

But this 2nd "guru" that Ross at QT referred me to (Ross is definiitely no "slouch" himself) was a guy named "Gray" at American powertrain in TN; I guess Gray worked for Keisler at one time and went out to do his own thing.
Gray was very interested to know which sites I am at regularly, and is "watching" to see what guys want to see if it would be worth it to build a "bug-free" plug n play kit to run Mopar to (whatever) brand X or Y transmission. He really does know his stuff!
American Powertrain; (931)-646-4836 x 103 you want to talk to "Gray" (not "Gary")
very interested in what guys like us are wanting to do to their rigs and has much available for different swaps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts