Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of differences between the two 4.7's but as far as the block itself is there any difference? What would keep people from putting 08+ heads onto an older 4.7? I know the internals and heads are the different but is the block itself any different? If so what is the difference?

·
Banned
4,140 Posts
cant use the heads. the 08's have 16 spark plugs.
how does that stop you? it still only has 8 coils. its just like the srt engines...one coil does both plugs in the same cylinder.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
it still only has 8 coils. its just like the srt engines...one coil does both plugs in the same cylinder.
That is what I was thinking, it is only one coil with a plug running to the second one and both plugs are in the top end of the motor. If they do fit but the coils wouldn't work couldn't you just run the old coils and run only one plug (with the other just filling the hole). From what I have read, it seems to me that the second plug is more for emissions then performance.

Also, other then the bump in compression, intake manifold, and lighter internals, it seems like a big difference between them is in the heads and I've seen entire long blocks selling for cheaper then ported old 4.7 heads. I'm thinking that if the heads could be swapped it could be a nice gain in performance.

Even if the heads won't fit I wonder if you could run the motor off the older computer? With them being so new I don't see it being very easy to get heads without getting the entire motor and more then likely if I ever tear that far into my motor the entire thing will come out for pistons and rods (and I have a spare block sitting in my barn).
The bottom end doesn't look all that different.
New:

Old:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a bit of shopping around, I found out that fel-pro's head gasket (part number 26157PT) for the 4.7 is the same part number for 2000-2008 dakota 4.7's.

This is looking promising, if the headgaskets are the same I don't see why the new heads wouldn't fit... but getting them to fit and making it run are two different things.

·
Banned
4,140 Posts
After a bit of shopping around, I found out that fel-pro's head gasket (part number 26157PT) for the 4.7 is the same part number for 2000-2008 dakota 4.7's.

This is looking promising, if the headgaskets are the same I don't see why the new heads wouldn't fit... but getting them to fit and making it run are two different things.
as long as the tone rinds are right...03 up had 32 tooth...02 and older had 16

but i dont think it would bee too hard to up date to the 03+ computer for the 01-02 guys.

·
Registered
411 Posts

The 2008+ 4.7 pistons are DRASTICALLY different for the 2008s revised combustion chamber design. The 08 pistons look like they will be REQUIRED to run the 08 heads. The 2008 heads also have a vastly revised exhaust flange and ports.

·
Banned
4,140 Posts
The 2008+ 4.7 pistons are DRASTICALLY different for the 2008s revised combustion chamber design. The 08 pistons look like they will be REQUIRED to run the 08 heads. The 2008 heads also have a vastly revised exhaust flange and ports.
how is this? too much of a dome? got pics? and exhaust isnt an issue.

·
Banned
4,140 Posts
Well the 2008 piston has multiple DEEP valve reliefs in them. I have pictures on my computer at work from a 2008 shortblock that was on Ebay. Exhaust is an issue if you think you are going to bolt a standard 4.7 header to it... It WON'T FIT!
that because the compression is higher on the 08+ block

and mr intelligent....obviously if the ports and bolt pattern are different, an 07 and older header wont fit...but i say its not a issue to get the head to work on the 07 and older 4.7

·
Registered
411 Posts
that because the compression is higher on the 08+ block

and mr intelligent....obviously if the ports and bolt pattern are different, an 07 and older header wont fit...but i say its not a issue to get the head to work on the 07 and older 4.7
Well the piston is still the same depth in the block. The CHAMBER is VASTLY different in the 08 head and It looks as if the actual 99-07 pistons will hit the 08 cylinder head in places.

·
Banned
4,140 Posts
Well the piston is still the same depth in the block. The CHAMBER is VASTLY different in the 08 head and It looks as if the actual 99-07 pistons will hit the 08 cylinder head in places.
looks and does are 2 different things...and custom pistons arent that big of a deal. post these pics when you get them from your computer.

·
Registered
411 Posts
looks and does are 2 different things...and custom pistons arent that big of a deal. post these pics when you get them from your computer.
Well looks and does are pretty much a certainty... Remember the 08 head has the 2nd squish area and 2nd spark plug. Thats what the relief looks like it clears. Its shallower in that area than a normal 4.7 piston.

·
Banned
4,140 Posts
Well looks and does are pretty much a certainty... Remember the 08 head has the 2nd squish area and 2nd spark plug. Thats what the relief looks like it clears. Its shallower in that area than a normal 4.7 piston.
they are still different...remember, dodge doesnt build a truck with full race tolerances...they build them on the SAFE side of things

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cmon Michael, this guy knows his stuff...he saw the inside of his last motor after he blew it up.
And according to his posts on the chevy forums he says he has put an 08 motor in his truck which is why it was so fast....he had the videos to prove it.
Ok, he's full of shit, claimed the videos of a hemi on nitrous were him, never did the swap he bragged about to the chevy forum....and probably none of the other stuff he has claimed on the various forums.

Too bad he's spreading his idiocy here now too, guess the chevy forum and dt got tired of him....so on to the next one.

·
Banned
4,140 Posts
Cmon Michael, this guy knows his stuff...he saw the inside of his last motor after he blew it up.
And according to his posts on the chevy forums he says he has put an 08 motor in his truck which is why it was so fast....he had the videos to prove it.
Ok, he's full of shit, claimed the videos of a hemi on nitrous were him, never did the swap he bragged about to the chevy forum....and probably none of the other stuff he has claimed on the various forums.

Too bad he's spreading his idiocy here now too, guess the chevy forum and dt got tired of him....so on to the next one.
and he's from texas? or did he wash up from katrina? or rita?...whatever that water storm was called....:D

·
Registered
411 Posts

You are wrong on the swap...I have done one....About to do one again.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Swapping out tone rings wouldn't be a problem as I have some spare ones from a 01.

I am curious if an 08 motor could be run off of a 01 computer, switching from an 01 computer to an 03+ computer would probably require rewiring everything like josh did on his hemi swap since the 03+ have four plugs and the other have three. I really don't see why it wouldn't work, it is the same basic motor, I'm sure some connectors would need to be changed and a different tune but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I am not surprised that the pistons have recesses in them with the upped compression ratio and different head design, it could still be possible that they will fit on a stock older motor. For me personally I would more then likely be changing pistons if I ever tried putting 08 heads on a older motor anyway.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Swapping out tone rings wouldn't be a problem as I have some spare ones from a 01.

I am curious if an 08 motor could be run off of a 01 computer, switching from an 01 computer to an 03+ computer would probably require rewiring everything like josh did on his hemi swap since the 03+ have four plugs and the other have three. I really don't see why it wouldn't work, it is the same basic motor, I'm sure some connectors would need to be changed and a different tune but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I am not surprised that the pistons have recesses in them with the upped compression ratio and different head design, it could still be possible that they will fit on a stock older motor. For me personally I would more then likely be changing pistons if I ever tried putting 08 heads on a older motor anyway.
03+ PCM will run the 08 engine the way its sits. Just need one of the airram throttle body adapter plate sets and the right tune.

·
Banned
4,140 Posts

josh had to do alot of extra wiring because the ( i think) bus system was different between the 01 and older and the 02 and older (possibly 03)

but i dont think you would need to rewire anything....maybe just change some pinouts. you would just delete your tcm and put your 4th plug in with the 03+ pcm........i think...im a bit tired right now...just got done pulling the engine and tranny

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.