Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Year/Make/Model: 1999 DODGE DURANGO

Body Style: 4 DR. WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
Engine: 5.2L V8 SMPI OHV 16V
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: 4 WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: UNITED STATES
Safety Equipment: Rear Wheel ABS, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer

I just found this on carfax and was wondering what the difference in the 5.2L and 4.7L Motors where? They are both a 318 right? (I was thinking that the 318 was a 4.7 and 360 was a 5.9..... and 5.2 is right in the middle so...)

· Registered
82 Posts
The 4.7l is actually a 283 I believe (or 287). The 5.2l is the 318. The 4.7 replaced the 5.2 in 2000. It's a completely different motor than the 5.2 having an overhead cam not sharing many, if any, parts with the 5.9. I'm sure someone else will post back with waaay more detail. This is like the Cliff Notes version. :mullet:

· It's not my fault!
299 Posts
Yes, the 4.7 is a completely different beast than the 5.2. Uses a distributorless ignition. Electronically controlled. Single barrel TB, 68mm I think or something close to it. The 4.7 was developed for increased mpg, etc. All new design. Makes similar power, if not a little more.

· Registered
53 Posts
Another major difference in the 4.7L vs 5.2/5.9L blocks is the lack of pushrods. This allows the 4.7L to reduce valvetrain friction, resulting in more power and an increased effieciency at higher RPM's.

The SOHC design of the 4.7L is actually similar to that of the 4.6L Ford, found in most Mustangs. :mullet:

· Registered
212 Posts
That all depends on what you like... Old school pushrod engine's or newer OHC setup's. The 4.7 has replaced the 5.2 cause it's a bit smaller gets better gas milage and has more base power over all then the much dated 5.2. I dunno if it's better per say but I do know it's a little beast in it's own right.

G

·
I own a 5.2 and I have driven a 4.7 and the 4.7 seems to be more powerful than the 5.2. I don't know if it's torque or straight power, but the 4.7 SCREWS!!!

I want my 5.2 to be as powerful, anyone have any suggestions? Easy, low budget mods?

· Registered
2,027 Posts
I will say this my step dad had a 97 ram 1500 reg cab long box 4X4 with a 360 auto, now he had a 2003 ram 1500 4X4 reg cab long box with a 4.7 auto and the 03 has more power and is faster that the 97, we had both at the same time for a week and i took both out back to back and the 4.7 ran so much better that the 5.9. It soulds better, runs smoother, and get better MPG that the old 5.9 I really like the 4.7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.