Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1997 dodge dakota 4x4 5.2 nv3500
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning on rebuilding my 4x4 on my Dakota and I got stumped pretty quickly.

the equipment identification tag in my glove box says I have an np231 HD transfer case but when I looked at the new process gear tag on my actual transfer case it just says "np231 d" ( I know that the "D" stands for "dodge" I'm just stumped because it doesn't say HD like my glove box. so I'm not sure if there's a difference.)

It's a 97 dodge Dakota with a 5.2 v8, nv3500 5 speed.

if anyone can tell me what I actually have and if there is a difference between rebuild kits.

·
Registered
1997 dodge dakota 4x4 5.2 nv3500
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i’ve been searching around because this has really thrown me for a loop and i found an old thread about a similar problem.

link to thread: 231 HD or not HD?

basically there isn’t a “231D-HD” option in these trucks, the info on my glove box just weirdly says it’s a heavy duty.

the information posted in that thread if for 94-96 trucks and mines a 97. i’m sure that they are very similar.

i belive that 231d is the "heavy duty" option for these dakotas. the lighter option was a np231DLD

just thought i’d post this response in case anyone else gets confused by this.

also makes sense as to why i couldn’t find an “HD” rebuild kit lol... i’m just going to rebuild it with a standard kit online and see how it goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts