Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know this is a pretty hardcore Newb question, but I haven't found answers anywhere else, so I might as well pick your brains. I'm trying to figure out whether I should get a 3" Body or Suspension lift. Money isn't too much of an issue - If I have to, I'll wait the extra few months to be able to afford a Suspension lift, but if it isn't that big of a difference, I'll get the Body Lift.

I've got a 98 Dak EC 4x4. I want to have more clearance for offroading and I'd like to fit 33 inch tires with enough clearance to hit bumps while cornering at a decent speed and not rub. I also want to mount a front bumper with a winch and shackles on it and still be able to use it fullbore. Plus, I have a hidden hitch that I would still like to use. Would I be able to do all of this with a body lift, or do I have to go suspension? It's a lot of money to spend, and I'd like to know if I can save it on a BL. Thanks for putting up with answering the obvious question, if you can.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i would go w/ the suspension lift if money isn't the issue, i just recently ordered a 3" body lift and a 3" suspension lift and im just gonna put some 33's under it all. :mullet:

·
adicted to GT4
273 Posts
The difference is that a body lift will lift the body itself of the chasis, and leave you with the ability to run larger tires, but no extra ground clearance (other than the few inches from the larger tires)

the suspension lift lifts the chasis by way of making the supension higher and allows addd ground clearance (everywhere but under the axle as the axler remains teh same height + small increase from larger tires) and allows for the larger tires.

Doing both allows for even larger tires, with the ground clearance of a supension lift, plus the little extra from the larger tire diameter.

Personally i think body lifts are pointless as they don't raise the frame at all, but that is my opinion. I am looking at the 3 inch rancho lift, along with 33s. 35s would be nice, but I don't want a body lift.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, good stuff. I understand how both work, thanks.

I'm more interested in the impact a body lift would have on a winch bumper and my hidden hitch. Any takers?

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
A body lift would change the alignment of where your hardware pokes out from below or through your bodywork. Front bumper bars usually still look and function well with body lifts because they usually stick up and out anyways, but you will likely have problems with your hidden hitch.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I would not do the body lift, I think it is a fake lift. Do the suspension life and your will be much happier.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
It all really depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're looking for the look with 33's, then go with the bodylift. If you're going offroad it, then go with the Rancho. I doubt you'll be completely happy with just one, and with both the truck's are just about right for offroading and looks. I"ve been running a bodylift and 33's for over a year now, and it's finally time for me to get the Rancho and put it on. I wheeled it pretty hard for what I've got, and hopefully the Rancho helps out enough...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts