Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was out of town when the wife called to tell me something was wrong with our '00 Durango SLT 5.9 4x4. There were no warning signs. She said she turned onto our road, tried to accelerate and it wouldn't go. She tried shifting into 2, 1, R and still nothing. After messing with it a few moments it started to drive fine. She made it to the house, but after turning into the driveway, it didn't want to go again. She played with the shifter some more and even tried 4WD. Finally, she got it into the parking space. The next day, I had her check the fluid level and she said it was a little over full. I have recently changed the fluid and filter and overfilled it. I siphened almost two quarts out to get it back in range. Not sure how the fluid level has increased since then. Anyway, is this a dead transmission, or could it be something else?

Update: Just got done test driving it myself. When taken out of park, I notice a loud whining/grinding sound. After warming up, the transmission began slipping badly and taking a long time to engage. Checked the fluid and it was at the bottom of the "OK" range, but not excessively low. I added fluid, but no improvement noticed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm sorry to say, bro, but it sounds like your transmission is either dead, or on it's last leg. Over-filling a transmission can create a host of problems, most of which you've listed in your post. "Over-filling a transmission or engine can actually cause more problems, as the rotating parts whip the fluids into a froth. Air bubbles hurt the lubrication process, and can cause over-pressurizing, leakage and even damage."

It definately won't get any better, and definately will get worse. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Recommended Replacements

Poop.

I'm going to peruse the boards to see if I can find a recommended replacement for my parts bin, but if someone can throw out a suggestion in the meantime, I would appreciate it. :help:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Took the Durango to the shop. Turns out there is "significant damage", but not caused by my overfilling. The noise was from a failed pump. A portion of the damage was done after driving it 30+ miles with a failed pump, but a majority of it was probably from 125k miles of regular driving. I decided to go with a Proformance remanufactured. Total cost is going be just under $2000 installed. I purchased an extended warranty (3 yr./50,000 mi.) for $200.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On The Road Again

I got to see the old transmission. The main band was worn to the rivits. 3rd gear plates were black (burnt) and badly worn. 2nd gear plates were also badly worn. There was also damage to reverse and obviously the pump.

The new one runs just like the old one (before it failed). I am convinced, based on my own experience and the experiences of others, that the 46RE is just a poorly designed, poorly engineered transmission that runs like it needs service right out of the box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VIPR1AB said:
I am convinced, based on my own experience and the experiences of others, that the 46RE is just a poorly designed, poorly engineered transmission that runs like it needs service right out of the box.
I second that bro! From day one my tranny had issues. I took it back a couple of times while still under warranty, and the dealer always told me it was acting "normal". POS design.

I'm very happy with my new locally built performance tranny. We dailed that baby in perfect. It's awesome. :biggthump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.