Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
God Bless The USA!!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so a few months ago i got my truck aligned, everything ok. Now the camber on my driver-side tire is off.

The tire is wearing bad on the inside, again. I have noticied a popping sound when turning, only sharp turns, and bad pop on full lock turns.

I think its my upper ball joint, right? :huh:

I just wanted to get some feedback before i buy the parts and rip the truck apart.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Jack up the front tire so it is about 1/2" off the ground. Get a prybar and stick it under the tire and pry up on the bottom of the tire while you observe the lower ball joint...look very close...any movement in the ball joint warrants replacement. The upper ball joint you can check the same way but also grab the top and bottom of the tire and push/pull it to see if there is any movement in or out.

Typically the lower ball joints are the ones that will make the popping noise.

B

·
0 Posts
Raise the front wheel with the jack under the control arm, grab the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock and see if you have any movement in and out. I'd say you're on the right but check before you start replacing parts that may not need replacing.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
It could be a bad ball joint, but it could also be a loose upper control arm. It's fairly common that shops don't get the upper arm tight enough and it'll start to shift around and make noise.

Time to check it out. Just make sure you jack the truck up by the lower control arm or you won't be able to see any play in the ball joints.

·
God Bless The USA!!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks guys will do!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
just remember. allways replace balljoints in pairs to save from future headaches.

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
Sounds like the uppers to me, I had a popping noise with them before I replaced them, not with the lowers.

·
God Bless The USA!!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, jacked the truck up on the LCA and moved the tire around, the upper is REAL bad... tons of movement. The lower, when i pry up on the tire, moves some but not nearly as bad as the upper.

So i picked up MOOG #K7267 and #K7242 upper and lower ball joints to install tomorrow. Paid more than i wanted to from the local auto part store, but i need to get them installed tomorrow, so i can't order online. I will be doing the pass-side soon, those i'm ordering online today from Rock Auto, probably, and installing next weekend i guess.

I've got 200 miles to drive tomorrow night, (+200 back) so i want the driver side done tomorrow.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes, i hope to take pictures, if i remember :D!

·
God Bless The USA!!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well... they're in! And of course i got to my uncle's and forgot the camera, oh well.

Took just over 4 hours, the longest time being removing and reinstalling that lower ball joint... it was a :censored:

In a week or so when i do the passenger side, i will freeze the lower joint and heat up the LCA after i remove the old to ease installation.

Question for those who have done this, did you have a problem getting the upper joint to line back up for install? i had a heck of a time. Jacking up under the LCA began raising the whole truck before it aligned, so finally we wrapped a ratchet strap around the top of the spindle then to the top of the shock mount and cranked it in.

Overall a pretty easy repair :drive:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts