Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear has been on a slow trip down the shitter. I haven't and won't have the time or really the space to tear into it and can't really go without or afford to take it to a shop now. I'm trying to get an idea of what it might be and how long I have til its gone. At first I just noticed it was starting to only burn one tire at times even though its a limited slip. Then it started to whine for a little while. Now it's starting to vibrate on take offs up until around 20 miles per hour like something is slipping. Today it was really warm out and I could have my windows down but it was hard to detect noises over the exhaust. I was going through town at like 20 and went to accelerate and I heard a nasty metal scraping and squeaking sound. On my way home I was able to hear it making a bit of a tick when I passed between building and it echoed. It sounds kinda like wind rattling a chain link fence. Also while parked sideways on an incline I pushed on the driver's rear wheel back and forth and heard a screeching sound and it seems to have play in it. My first thoughts were the LSD clutches, then it was the pinion gear, now it seems like it could be an axle shaft or something. :huh: It does have proper fluid level, the additive, and no leaks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I say pull the cover off the rear and do a visual inspection and see just what everything looks like may be metal shavings etc. def check to see what kinda shape the ring and pinion is in

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
sounds like the LSD exploded. they aren't very strong to begin with and only last so long. need to pull the cover for sure. i would stop driving it until you check. you will screw up the gears if there's chunks of stuff swimming in there.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that's the case then its already fucked because its been like this for over a week. Is there a cheap aftermarket unit that is stronger?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well obviously not cheap I guess haha but what's a strong aftermarket unit for around $450 or less? I need something stronger evidently haha.

·
Registered
704 Posts
there are several aftermarket units but to be honest id just stick with the trac lock lsd, they're pretty tough units, I used to have a detroit locker in my rear just got to me to aggravating to drive everyday with a manual transmission so i switched to a trac lock wit 3.92s held up to launching at dragstrip with 75 shot of nitrous and slicks 3500 rpms spun both of em nicely through the 60 ft lol, do stay away from auburn gear they make an lsd but it can't be rebuilt which is dumb been there done that myself unfortunately

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about a Detroit True Trac but I've also been considering picking up a junkyard 3.92 entire front carrier assembly and swapping the truck from 3.55s to 3.92s since I've found that if I were to buy a limited slip unit I'd also have to buy a new ring and pinion as well which is like $750 total. I was thinking about grabbing a good entire 9.25" rear end with 3.92s and disk brakes and converting the rear. Anybody know how hard of a conversion it is?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
Well you'll need atleast 16" wheels to fit over the disk brakes.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought that was only in the front. The back brakes should be the same or smaller than my current fronts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts