Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I swapped my open differential for a TracLoc last week and everything went well considering I've never done one before. I have a bit of whine when coasting so I'm looking for a little experienced guidance.

The manual is a bit confusing when explaining the adjusters. It says to tighten the left side to 75ft/lbs then tighten the right to get the right amount of play. I tightened the left then the right to 75 ft/lbs and everything was locked up. I undid that and went back and forth tightening either side while still having the right amount of play. Then I torqued it to 75 ft/lbs on both sides. I didn't change the pinion and used the same ring gear. I tried the pattern test with some grease but it was hard to tell if I had it right. Did I do something incorrectly? Will it hurt anything?

Thanks
I have done several of these and I just tightened the left until the pinion was tight on the ring gear and then tightened the right side until I had the right backlash, then checked the wear pattern. All turned out good. You should not of torqued the adjusters to 75 ft/lbs after setting your backlash that was backward. And you should of checked the backlash before taking it apart and reset it to the same when putting it back together, I hope you didn't drive it much whining, that may damage the ring and pinion

·
Registered
80 Posts
But I am willing to bet that 75 ft/lbs was before you set the backlash not after, and only on the left side which does make sense, but I would not go that tight just snug then go to the right side to adjust the backlash. I do 9" Ford rear ends the same way..
I would think that the 75 ft/lbs was for the bearing caps not the adjusting nuts, which the bearing caps should only be snug while adjusting everything and then torqued after done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts