Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped my open differential for a TracLoc last week and everything went well considering I've never done one before. I have a bit of whine when coasting so I'm looking for a little experienced guidance.

The manual is a bit confusing when explaining the adjusters. It says to tighten the left side to 75ft/lbs then tighten the right to get the right amount of play. I tightened the left then the right to 75 ft/lbs and everything was locked up. I undid that and went back and forth tightening either side while still having the right amount of play. Then I torqued it to 75 ft/lbs on both sides. I didn't change the pinion and used the same ring gear. I tried the pattern test with some grease but it was hard to tell if I had it right. Did I do something incorrectly? Will it hurt anything?

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I swapped my open differential for a TracLoc last week and everything went well considering I've never done one before. I have a bit of whine when coasting so I'm looking for a little experienced guidance.

The manual is a bit confusing when explaining the adjusters. It says to tighten the left side to 75ft/lbs then tighten the right to get the right amount of play. I tightened the left then the right to 75 ft/lbs and everything was locked up. I undid that and went back and forth tightening either side while still having the right amount of play. Then I torqued it to 75 ft/lbs on both sides. I didn't change the pinion and used the same ring gear. I tried the pattern test with some grease but it was hard to tell if I had it right. Did I do something incorrectly? Will it hurt anything?

Thanks
I have done several of these and I just tightened the left until the pinion was tight on the ring gear and then tightened the right side until I had the right backlash, then checked the wear pattern. All turned out good. You should not of torqued the adjusters to 75 ft/lbs after setting your backlash that was backward. And you should of checked the backlash before taking it apart and reset it to the same when putting it back together, I hope you didn't drive it much whining, that may damage the ring and pinion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done several of these and I just tightened the left until the pinion was tight on the ring gear and then tightened the right side until I had the right backlash, then checked the wear pattern. All turned out good. You should not of torqued the adjusters to 75 ft/lbs after setting your backlash that was backward. And you should of checked the backlash before taking it apart and reset it to the same when putting it back together, I hope you didn't drive it much whining, that may damage the ring and pinion
Thank you for the help. I will take apart and reset it as you described. The service manual is what said torque it to 75lbs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you for the help. I will take apart and reset it as you described. The service manual is what said torque it to 75lbs.
But I am willing to bet that that was before you set the backlash not after, and only on the left side which does make sense, but I would not go that tight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
But I am willing to bet that 75 ft/lbs was before you set the backlash not after, and only on the left side which does make sense, but I would not go that tight just snug then go to the right side to adjust the backlash. I do 9" Ford rear ends the same way..
I would think that the 75 ft/lbs was for the bearing caps not the adjusting nuts, which the bearing caps should only be snug while adjusting everything and then torqued after done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both the 2000 and 2001 say the bearing caps torque to 100 and the adjusters torque to 75.

The 2001 manual is MUCH better explaining this. Set the bearing caps to 10 lbs. Adjust the adjusters back and forth to 10 lbs to get the backlash. Then torque the caps. Then the adjusters.

I finally got it right. For others wanting to to differential work get a gauge to measure the backlash. The squish test by itself won’t work. The auto parts stores don’t have them and they aren’t cheap. By the time you buy one you could almost pay to have it done.

Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning, 10 ftlb sounds reasonable the big thing is as long as when everything is torqued down your back lash is correct you should be good. Glad it all worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts