Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and i are deabating on if the M.S.D 6A multy spark distributer module belongs on my truck. He tells me that it shouldnt of been put on my truck.I read the descprition on the M.S.D website and all it says is that it for better spark,and quicker ignition. He keeps telling me that the M.S.D is over riding the main computer. He told me that i have to get a new wiring harness and rewire everything? Doesnt make sense to me so i know hes on this site and can you or someone explain in detail what this does and what are the pros and cons to having this module on the truck? I personaly think that its not effecting the truck but make it buner the fuel better. it was put on the truck last year and never had a problem with it. He is telling me that this module is use for a motor that has a compression higher than 10.1 and its for a high compression motor.

thank you all

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
The MSD ignition uses a different way of firing the coil. With a stock ignition, the coil is wired to 12 volt power, and the PCM connects to the ground wire. The PCM turns on the ground to build up a magnetic field in the coil, then turns the ground off and the energy in the magnetic field creates a spark. The MSD box stores energy in a capacitor and then dumps it into the coil. This makes for a hot, but very short, spark. (Which is why it makes a bunch of sparks at low RPM - the stock system uses one significantly longer spark.)

So the MSD box doesn't really override your timing settings (well, the basic 6A doesn't, you can get ones that do). It does have a bit more energy than stock, especially at high RPM. It doesn't have a huge benefit on a nearly stock engine, but if you're making significantly more cylinder pressure or RPM than stock, it could help. And if it's working fine now, I don't see any pressing reason to remove it.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
stock engine... not needed.....

hotter cam, heads, ect.... bigger benifit.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i dont know what and if shelby changed the heads on the truck and it is supercharged from factory? so.. i dont know. But i dont see why it would hurt the truck. That and i also have a msd boost retard timing box on it? I dont see why i need that, wouldnt the stock computer do all that?

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
My friend and i are deabating on if the M.S.D 6A multy spark distributer module belongs on my truck. He tells me that it shouldnt of been put on my truck.I read the descprition on the M.S.D website and all it says is that it for better spark,and quicker ignition. He keeps telling me that the M.S.D is over riding the main computer. He told me that i have to get a new wiring harness and rewire everything? Doesnt make sense to me so i know hes on this site and can you or someone explain in detail what this does and what are the pros and cons to having this module on the truck? I personaly think that its not effecting the truck but make it buner the fuel better. it was put on the truck last year and never had a problem with it. He is telling me that this module is use for a motor that has a compression higher than 10.1 and its for a high compression motor.

thank you all
Long story short, your friend is full of shit.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
he wants it on his truck thats why he's telling you its shit!

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Leave it on there, you need all the help you can to light off the low RPM boosted conditions.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well on the boost retard box it is set to start "retarding" the timing at 2lbs of boost is this correct? I thought after 5lbs of boost is where it should be starting to retard the timing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this thread is 8 months old, but it reminded me of an experience I had...

I have an msd 6a box installed, and out of nowhere my coil started going out a few months back. Since the symptoms were wierd (misfire increases and eventually engine dies out after warm up) and inconsistent, it took me a little while to find out the problem. I rewired the ignition to bypass the msd while I was trouble shooting, and the truck didnt fire up AT ALL with the MSD bypassed. So the MSD was actually producing enough spark with a coil so weak it couldnt work on its own. It seems to prove the power of the spark with msd to me. If you can get one at a good deal its nice to have the truck run a little smoother. Its funny too cause my friend was saying the exact same thing to me about the MSD box. lol

·
Tire Hater
413 Posts
So the MSD was actually producing enough spark with a coil so weak it couldnt work on its own. It seems to prove the power of the spark with msd to me.
My experience with the 6A on a Volare Roadrunner I once had:
The install instructions show you how to "test" the spark. So when I laid the coil wire up close to the firewall (about 1/2" or so) and triggered the MSD, it blew the paint off the firewall about the size of a quarter. Good thing I wasn't hanging on to it.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts