Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, My right rear leaf spring has a nice little 'wave' in it. I talked to a local spring shop today, they told me basically that was caused by the axle wrap that I'm no doubt gettin thanks to the blocks. The good news is they tell me they can not only fix the leaf, but they can dearch the leaf to get me my 3" of drop.

Anyone ever run de arched springs? I can tell ya that the price is sure tempting. $35 a spring (Provided I take the springs to them off the truck) Thats a HELL of alot less than the Hotchkis leaves at $315 shipped.

:help:

· Administrator
12,575 Posts
YellaDakRT said:
Well, My right rear leaf spring has a nice little 'wave' in it. I talked to a local spring shop today, they told me basically that was caused by the axle wrap that I'm no doubt gettin thanks to the blocks. The good news is they tell me they can not only fix the leaf, but they can dearch the leaf to get me my 3" of drop.

Anyone ever run de arched springs? I can tell ya that the price is sure tempting. $35 a spring (Provided I take the springs to them off the truck) Thats a HELL of alot less than the Hotchkis leaves at $315 shipped.

:help:
I've never heard of it before but at 35 bucks a spring that a great deal. Sometimes something good comes out of something bad. :biggthump

· Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
360 xrt said:
Yes i have,both arched and de-arched.the draw backs are they are short lived and weaken the spring lbs.cheap fix+cheap price=cheap. :sorry:
So they are not a good idea? I know it 'weakens' the spring, but I don't need a 5000lb (whatever it is) tow rating, so I'm not worried to much about that. Or should I be? This is why I ask. I've merely heard of doing it, never anyone with 'experience' in it. Course the spring shop says it's fine, and I'm tempted to agree with them, unless I can get a compelling argument otherwise

· Registered
1,087 Posts
At that price it's a quick fix. I would do it and then save up for some new springs. I've seem problems with re-arched springs but I'm not sure about de-arched springs. I would think that they might fair a bit better. You might also want to check around and see that price it TOO cheap.

· Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
N56629 said:
At that price it's a quick fix. I would do it and then save up for some new springs. I've seem problems with re-arched springs but I'm not sure about de-arched springs. I would think that they might fair a bit better. You might also want to check around and see that price it TOO cheap.
The price does sound really cheap. But I don't really know. A guy I know through work got his springs rearched (4" lift) for $100 for all 4. so $70 for 2... not that bad. and that was at a different shop. I don't know. Wish I knew someone who's actually used them. Horror stories of other peoples rides always seem extreme... I don't want to spend $70 and all the effort just to later spend $300. That's really stupid IMHO

3,871 Posts
if ya wanna go cheap y not just get a hanger and shackle mount kit from western chassis? i told ya $200. all ya really gonna need is a chisel -air pls- and just plan 1 day free, for me the work was PITA but i wouldnt have my dak dropped any other way

· Registered
2,027 Posts
For the price, you can't beat it. i would say have them do it and you should be fine for awhile, just don't carry heavy loads or tow.

· Blown and Squirted
2,513 Posts
Instead of doing another cheap fix after you did the block. Go with what people were recommending to begin with- Hotchkis. Just think, if you dont like the way this turns out, you will end up doing it right with the hotchkis in the end anyway.

· Registered
20 Posts
Yea man don't go with the de-arched springs for one they can break easy and will give u problems in the long run....... I have always said if u are going to do something do it right dont do half a**. Caus u will pay in the long run

· Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jokerlowrider said:
Yea man don't go with the de-arched springs for one they can break easy and will give u problems in the long run....... I have always said if u are going to do something do it right dont do half a**. Caus u will pay in the long run
Yea so it appears... Well crap. I want the hotchkis leaves. or THOUGHT I did. Not enough drop. I don't want to pay $300 to lift my truck BACK up. GHEY. Guess I'll try to locate some stock springs and get hangers.

Whats different about the R/T springs over regular Dakota springs? Or is it just the ride height?

· Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
2" drop shackles are cheap and easy to do, then you can add a spring clamp which should get you another .5"-.75" more of a drop. R/T leaf springs are 1" lower than stock dakota leaf springs.

Shackles on a Durango will raise the truck up 2" because the mounting is different compared to a Dakota.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.