Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1997 Dakota I bought my wife has several scratches in the hood and roof from tree branches and a couple of surface rust spots on the drivers door I would like to take care of before they get worse. I believe the truck is painted Patriot Blue but would like to verify that before getting some paint mixed up. Where is the data plate on this truck? I looked under the hood which is where I have always found it but it isn't readily visible.

Chris

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
Yup. Glove box is where you'll find paint codes, size of your rear axle, gear ratio and whether or not you have an "anti-spin" differential (aka Sure-grip or LSD)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ya'll. It was in the glove box. It isn't what I was looking for but it did give me the info I needed. The code for the paint is PCH which is, according to the PPG book at work, Light Montego Blue. I also did not find Patriot Blue in the book for 1997. Doesn't matter what they call it to me.

Chris

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
so did they change the location of the info at some point, or is it on the door jam AND the glovebox? i just got my 02's paint code the other day for some touchup work and it was right on the sticker inside the door jam.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only stickers on my door jambs are the one for the Warren plant and the one with the VIN, GVW etc info, both on the drivers side. The data plate is a metal plate that has the codes for all the equipment on the vehicle. I am used to them being under the hood but my experience with Dodges was from the 60-80's until this dakota. All the info I have seen says it is either under the seat on the passenger side or in the floor well on that side. The build sheet is in the glove box, it has the paint codes on it so I quit looking for the data plate. I also found out I have 3.92 gears, no LS though.

Chris

·
3,230 Posts
The only stickers on my door jambs are the one for the Warren plant and the one with the VIN, GVW etc info, both on the drivers side.
that plate with your VIN and GVW also has paint and trim codes on it. there is no more metal plate, thats a thing of the past now. its all just stickers.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
I know with my experience that the 99's and 2000's both have data plates under the carpet, underneath the passenger's seat. And it's made of metal or plastic (similar to a credit card, and about the same size) .... it's not a sticker. It's held on by rivets.

·
3,230 Posts
I know with my experience that the 99's and 2000's both have data plates under the carpet, underneath the passenger's seat. And it's made of metal or plastic (similar to a credit card, and about the same size) .... it's not a sticker. It's held on by rivets.
well, i can say ive never had a reason to look under my carpet for data plates. all the info ive ever needed is on the door jam and in the glove box. i also get a printout of the options sheet from the dealer.

·
Back in black
18,381 Posts
so did they change the location of the info at some point, or is it on the door jam AND the glovebox? i just got my 02's paint code the other day for some touchup work and it was right on the sticker inside the door jam.
Yea my 02 has the sticker in the door jam with the paint code and whatnot, thats why I said to check there.

Didnt realize it was different between the years.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
I have the sticker in the driver's door jamb as well, I was just letting you all know there was also a stamped plate under the carpet. The only way I know is I just finished pulling the entire R/T interior from a 99 parts truck I have and putting it into a 2000 SLT. I saw the data plates when I had the carpet out of the trucks.

·
3,230 Posts
I have the sticker in the driver's door jamb as well, I was just letting you all know there was also a stamped plate under the carpet. The only way I know is I just finished pulling the entire R/T interior from a 99 parts truck I have and putting it into a 2000 SLT. I saw the data plates when I had the carpet out of the trucks.
i never knew they were under there.... guess you learn something new every day :mullet:

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
Thanks ya'll. It was in the glove box. It isn't what I was looking for but it did give me the info I needed. The code for the paint is PCH which is, according to the PPG book at work, Light Montego Blue. I also did not find Patriot Blue in the book for 1997. Doesn't matter what they call it to me.

Chris
all you REALLY need to know is the paint code.

for example, my truck...both of them actually, are painted PR4 this was at one time called Poppy red, and also called Flame red.

made it difficult my first trip to the parts store for a cheap can of spray bomb for a touch up I wanted to try...all the cans said "Flame red" but I wanted Poppy red! I had to match up the paint code and realized that Flame red and Poppy red were the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that plate with your VIN and GVW also has paint and trim codes on it. there is no more metal plate, thats a thing of the past now. its all just stickers.
I'll have to look again at that sticker then. I didn't see the codes the first time. That metal plate is NOT a thing of the past. It has all kinds of info about what is on your truck/car. Things such as which seats, which radio, which guage package etc are on that plate.

Chris

·
3,230 Posts
I'll have to look again at that sticker then. I didn't see the codes the first time. That metal plate is NOT a thing of the past. It has all kinds of info about what is on your truck/car. Things such as which seats, which radio, which guage package etc are on that plate.

Chris
well like i said, i guess ya learn something new every day. ive never had my carpet up, so i wouldnt have known it was under there. i was just goin off the fact that most everything is cheaply done (stickers) and it takes about a minute to have the dealer print out a breakdown of vehicle options. figured there isnt much a need for a metal plate anymore. my GMC had every RPO code for the vehicle in the glovebox on a sticker. Here is the door jam sticker on my 02, notice the PNT: PBT and TRM: P9DV below the barcode. thats all you need to know for paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
all you REALLY need to know is the paint code.

for example, my truck...both of them actually, are painted PR4 this was at one time called Poppy red, and also called Flame red.

made it difficult my first trip to the parts store for a cheap can of spray bomb for a touch up I wanted to try...all the cans said "Flame red" but I wanted Poppy red! I had to match up the paint code and realized that Flame red and Poppy red were the same.
I have the same color. I have seen the Poppy and Flame references for touch up paint. I don't knoe if they called it any different Dakota to Durango. I ordered my 99 and it was called at the time Flame Red and is what it says on the window sticker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts