Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the highway tonight and all of a sudden the dash lights flickered brighter and the headlights got brighter. Just a quick flash. Did it 2 times in 30 minutes. Any ideas? Its a 01 Durango and it just hit 100k. Im starting to think the alternator may be giong, but wanted to check with the experts here before I got raped by the dealership.

·
i gots me a duuuhrango!!
33 Posts
I would start looking for a loose connection somewhere, it's probably near the battery, since it seems to have affected all your electrical. My buddy and I changed the battery in my wife's blazer back in Nov of 03, and we didn't tighten the negative cable all the way down on the damn thing, prolly cuz it was -30*F...anyway, her dash, radio, headlights, all that was flickering, I finally got around to mucking with it, turns out that loose negative was the problem all along...check your battery connections, if still no luck, check your alternator connections...still no luck, keep a set of jumper cables around, cuz your alternator might just crap on you...good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
flickering

Hey man, i just had the same problem only mine got progessively worse the longer i drove, it took about 5-10 minutes to start happening and its not that the headlights get brighter it just looks that way because all of your lights cut out for a brief second, also if you listen you can hear a relay click on and off really fast? If this sounds familiar then its your Central Timing Module (CTM), replace that and it should fix your problem if we have the same symptoms. The part cost me $240 Canadian plus the dealer's time to install it, but it cured my problem. Hope this helps!

·
i gots me a duuuhrango!!
33 Posts
boy, was i wrong

guess it's a different ballgame on chevys...least i know what to look for if that ever starts happening on my durango...thanks for the info silverdakota, i will keep it in the back o' my head

·
Registered
7 Posts
CTM Location

Yeah man i think its under the steering column, in that area, i saw them mucking around under there when i brought my truck in to have the CTM replaced, its a black box with a couple of plugs in the back of it, oh also when its replaced you will have to have your keyless entry re-programmed, thats a free service if you let the dealership handle the repair. (at least it was here). Anyways let me know what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.