Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
well hell....
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just spent 4 hrs rwplace the sum bitch. the hardest part was getting the effn hose out there with everything in the way. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: after i got that out I put a new gasket and gasket sealer and now it leaks and made everthing worts than what it was before. now i still have no GD heat , and my engine runs hot as hell great just great :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
infernorage999 said:
i just spent 4 hrs rwplace the sum bitch. the hardest part was getting the effn hose out there with everything in the way. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: after i got that out I put a new gasket and gasket sealer and now it leaks and made everthing worts than what it was before. now i still have no GD heat , and my engine runs hot as hell great just great :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
FOUR HOURS?!?!? To replace a thermostat? I switched mine in like 10 minutes. It was leaking a little bit when i first started the engine, i just kept tightening the bolts till it stopped.

·
I'm that guy.
177 Posts
Hey man, I know the feeling. First T-Stat change took right @ 4 hours because I wringed the head off of a replacement bolt (the original bolt disappeared into the engine bay, never to be seen again).... Switched back to the stocker t-stat today with 0 problems... 20 minute job, the hose is a bitch.... Still no good heat though. :rant:

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
MusicCityDak said:
Still no good heat though. :rant:
I think i would switch back to a 195 during the winter too, i had my truck running for a good 20 minutes the other day with the heater on....it never got even close to warm. Im not gonna be driving it this winter so it doesnt really matter.

·
It's not my fault!
299 Posts
infernorage999 said:
Next time you pull the water neck out, grind off that little tab that says front on it. That sucker causes the most problems, gets caught on everything. It obviously can be removed with it still on, but it has to be done just right. My first one took a long time to do as well. I also don't trust some of the gaskets out there either. I have had 1 or 2 fail over the years right after putting them on. I usually put a thin coat of blue RTV high temp on it, never have a problem.

·
I'm Retired!
483 Posts
haha. I don't feel near as bad now. I use to think..."you gotta be kidding me. I can rip apart an entire engine and put it back together, but I can't put a thermostat housing back together w/o it leaking?"

I'm beginning to think it's just not me. Anyhow, to my best efforts, I can NEVER get my thermostat to seal. All the gaskets suck, even the one Mopar uses. Anyhow, My solution to the problem...SILICONE. That shit works wonders. sure it looks a little messy when you get done and its all protruding from the side and what not. But give it a couple days to settle and make sure its not leaking. Then just take a straight edge and cut off the ugly looking part and you'll be all set. Mine hasn't leaked since.

·
well hell....
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:mullet: you guys rocks thanks i don't as bad that I effed this up. I am going to go get 2 more gaskets from Advanced Auto and try again. hopefully I do alot better.
BTW. yeah I got rid of that damn "front" tab :cussing: that was one of my main problems , also the heater hose that comes the block next to the thremo, the stupib hose clamp tab was sticking out right in the way. so it should take about an hour to get it done today :biggthump

·
Who needs a Hemi
202 Posts
infernorage999 said:
:mullet: you guys rocks thanks i don't as bad that I effed this up. I am going to go get 2 more gaskets from Advanced Auto and try again. hopefully I do alot better.
BTW. yeah I got rid of that damn "front" tab :cussing: that was one of my main problems , also the heater hose that comes the block next to the thremo, the stupib hose clamp tab was sticking out right in the way. so it should take about an hour to get it done today :biggthump
If you want the easiest solution. Dont buy a regular gasket or silicon. What I did was buy the rubber gasket that wraps around the thermostat. You have to search for it because its not the recommended one for our trucks but it worked great for me. just check out the rubber gaskets and it the thinnest looking one. hope this helps

·
I'm that guy.
177 Posts
I used the gasket, but between the neck and the gasket, I spread some RTV sealant on there. Works great, no leaks.... If you use it make sure you put it between the neck and the gasket and not the gasket and the manifold... If you do the later, have fun scraping that off next time you have to change it.

·
It's not my fault!
299 Posts
infernorage999 said:
Yeah, I hate those stupid clamps. Pulled them off and replaced with proper screw type clamps when I changed the hoses. And made sure to keep them out of the way too.

·
Registered
728 Posts
DownBoi said:
FOUR HOURS?!?!? To replace a thermostat? I switched mine in like 10 minutes. It was leaking a little bit when i first started the engine, i just kept tightening the bolts till it stopped.

you also have the 3.9. i`m guessing he has a 4.7

·
Registered
728 Posts
i have an 04 . when i did mine the thermostat has a white o-ring that slid onto the thermastat. the hardest part was lining up the tit on the gasket to fit the housing. the 03 was the exact same way. no gasket or silicone needed.just the white o-ring that was on the old one.

·
well hell....
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOOT!!!! ifixed it no more leaks wooo hooo!

now I still Have no HEAT , GD lukewarm air still blowing out thinking it need a good flushing with some of that cleaner crap. I will do that Tuesday. any other suggestions?

·
I'm that guy.
177 Posts
infernorage999 said:
WOOT!!!! ifixed it no more leaks wooo hooo!

now I still Have no HEAT , GD lukewarm air still blowing out thinking it need a good flushing with some of that cleaner crap. I will do that Tuesday. any other suggestions?
MusicCityDak from DakotaUSA.com on my heat issue said:
Ok, I think I may have fixed the issue. I disconnected the heater core from the cooling system. FYI there is an easier way then just pulling them from the firewall. I pulled it at the waterpump (nice and easy to get too) and at the coupler over the left valve cover (also easy, but needed to remove CAI). Then I held a water hose up to one side, and had a bucket on the other end. Ran water through it about 5 times, til the water came out clear. Heat feels hotter.
Hope that helps you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.