Dakota Durango Forum banner

Dakota stuck in 4wd

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Zarn 
#1 ·
Hi all, this is a 01 dakota stuck in 4wd. There are no codes and no indicator lights. I checked all the fuses. They are good. I checked the switch, it's good. I hear it could either be the selector motor on the xfer case or the module in the kick panel.Is there any way to test either of these?
Oh, and my module keeps clicking with the truck off and key on... not sure what it's trying to do... it's either bad or trying to operate something thats bad... suggestions?

#2 ·
I own a completely stock, original motor and drive train, 2001 4.7 Auto w/ 230K miles. the truck has been near flawless besides a drive line replacement at 180K. This truck just had the same thing happen when shifting from park to drive. It made a sound like the park pin grinding during the shift. The shift felt "different" like mushy, but it did go into Drive, lock in and move forward. I shifted back to park and shut it down. Restarted it and it did the clicking thing you describe with the key on or after starting. NO codes. No dash indicator light or the 4WD e-shift knob initially. However in my situation a series of four clicks takes place THEN I get a service transmission indicator light on the dash and the E-shift knob indicator automatically switches to 4WD HI. Turning the e-shift knob has zero effect. The clicks seem to originate around the transfer left side of the transfer case. HELP...!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.