Gonna start this thread here with some plans for my SAS and lift:

Couple things to accomplish:

Front 3 Link with Coilovers
Rear 4 link with Coilovers and Bypass shocks
Fuel Cell
Tube/flatbed
maybe boatsides
Exo cage
05+ Super Duty axles (Dana 60 front/Sterling 10.5 rear)
37's to start on recentered H1 wheels

Anyway,

Still need to pick up the actual truck. I have a few local options I'm looking at. Specifically a 99 with the 5.2, it has a transmission issue with the gears slipping in 1st/2nd and like 240,000 miles. which isn't bad, gonna overhaul it anyway.

Can anyone give me a little bit of insight into the 99, I can't remember what forum I saw it, but I know its close to the cut off of the steering change to rack and pinion. Other than that I hope to pick up the truck this following weekend and get to cutting.

Also, anyone know common issues that cause slipping on a 44re?

Thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
The 2000 model year was the first year for the rack & pinion steering system. This was on the 4x4 models. (I'm not sure if that applies to the 2wd models.) When the rack & pinion came in, Dodge made a minor change to the frame in the area where the box on older models were installed. This is not a big deal as the frame can be altered for a steering box.

When we did my SAS, we installed the axle about 3 inches further forward to create the clearance needed between the rear of the fenders and the tires. What we found was, the axle location (specifically the differential housing) was directly below the steering arm. This became a clearance concern. There were a few options to correct this. I could have found a Ford box with a steering arm that points forward (the Dak box has a steering arm that points to the rear) or move the box. We chose the latter, because I already invested some $$$ into rebuilding the box and having it tapped for hydraulic assist. This meant having to build a new steering box mount, further forward on the frame rail.

Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2000 model year was the first year for the rack & pinion steering system. This was on the 4x4 models. (I'm not sure if that applies to the 2wd models.) When the rack & pinion came in, Dodge made a minor change to the frame in the area where the box on older models were installed. This is not a big deal as the frame can be altered for a steering box.

When we did my SAS, we installed the axle about 3 inches further forward to create the clearance needed between the rear of the fenders and the tires. What we found was, the axle location (specifically the differential housing) was directly below the steering arm. This became a clearance concern. There were a few options to correct this. I could have found a Ford box with a steering arm that points forward (the Dak box has a steering arm that points to the rear) or move the box. We chose the latter, because I already invested some $$$ into rebuilding the box and having it tapped for hydraulic assist. This meant having to build a new steering box mount, further forward on the frame rail.

Ed
Awesome information!
Thank you

I know I'm going to be extending the front, so maybe an aftermarket steering box thats already equipped for hydro assist from PSC will be the best choice, I am most likely going to have to fabricate the mount anyway

1 - 3 of 3 Posts