Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I can explain this so it makes sense .....

I have a 2001 CC R/T that has it's original 9.25” LSD with 9” drum brakes. I've swapped to junk yard 2004 Dakota dual-piston disc's on the front and now want to upgrade the rear brakes a little.

I also have an 8.25” non-LSD rear with 11” drum brakes from my other truck, a 2001 Quad Cab that is out of commission. Before I stopped driving the QC, I had swapped to junk yard 2003 Durango front brakes, and this brake combination worked pretty well.

While I really prefer disc brakes over drums, it seems it would be a lot easier and cheaper to switch the 9” drums to 11” drums IF the brake mounting points are the same or are easily modified. But, if it will take “a lot of work” to make this swap, I'd probably hit the junk yard for disc brakes, master cylinder, proportioning valve (not junk yard), etc. off something having a 9.25” rear.

So, I guess I'm looking for information from anyone who was in this same situation / practical educated opinions on which way to go. Gotta keep it low-buck with as many junk yard parts as possible.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have made the swap replacing 9" drums with 11" drums everything bolts right on and it made a big difference. No need to replace the proportioning valve. I did the swap on a 88 Dakota which had a valve to limit the rears braking with small or not load in back, which I eliminated that. Drove it many years that way and towed a lot of stuff with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. Good info re the brakes interchanging. I'll take a look at switching them this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts