Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help in deciding on weather or not I should install headers on my 03 Dakota R/T. I have heard a few different points of view about performance. Some say it helps and others are saying that it does very little unless you change the manifold first.

Can the headers be installed without raising the truck on a lift? I only have access to a floor jack. Gibson and JBA advertise that their headers install without welding or making any modifications. Does anyone have any experience with this?

:huh:

·
Scared? We're all scared
168 Posts
you can install the headers without a lift. i did mine on ramps though. was easier to get to the manifold bolts. you can reuse the existing manifold bolts for the collector, but use new header bolts for the block. took me about 9 or so hours by myself to install.

JBA and Gibson use the stock Y pipe. They do this so the stock pre-cats can still be used. Some people say that the headers won't improve performance unless you change the stock Y pipe too.

I take it that you are referring to the intake manifold, right? You don't have to change that first, or even at all. I'm still runnin' my stock manifold, and it runs great. Later on, i plan in installing more items, i.e. roller rockers, M1 intake, better throttle body, custom fabricated exhaust past the Y pipe. All of this will improve, and maximize, the use of the headers.

T

·
0 Posts
You can install the headers now, but what people are saying is these engine respond better to intake mods first. I think i read somewhere that intake throttle body and intake monifold should get your like 30 horse tot he wheels without exaust mods.

Bryan

·
Scared? We're all scared
168 Posts
there are long tube headers for these trucks, but they are only available up to the '99 model. you could use them on the '00-current, but there would have to be bungs added for the O2 sensors, or get an O2 sim box

1 - 6 of 6 Posts