Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I got a 2002 Dakota Quad-Cab. I've been lookin online and I saw a hard-top convertible kit for the gay S-10... and I got to thinkin that it would look badass on a Dakota. So does anyone know where to get a kit like that for my truck? Or will it be up to the custom shop and cost a ton of cash?

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
That would be ALOT of work with a quadcab, with all the weatherstripping that would be necessary. You can get the sliding canvas and/or vinyl top they have out now, someone on here has it, but can't think of what his screen name is.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I have seen a couple of the first gen Daks with the ragtops (was that a factory thing?) I never thought they looked very good, too square. I think it came from the whole mini-truckin craze of the 80's, and as far as I am concerned, the tops never did the original shape any justice.

Besides, I like the lines of your truck (mine is an 01 Quad Cab, same lines) and I doubt anyone could do a top that followed those lines well.

Now, the fabric sliders (are they called targa tops?) might be cool, but I already have a power sunroof... To have the entire roof section opened up would be unique, especially on a Quad Cab.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
BlackDak said:
I have seen a couple of the first gen Daks with the ragtops (was that a factory thing?) I never thought they looked very good, too square. I think it came from the whole mini-truckin craze of the 80's, and as far as I am concerned, the tops never did the original shape any justice.

Besides, I like the lines of your truck (mine is an 01 Quad Cab, same lines) and I doubt anyone could do a top that followed those lines well.

Now, the fabric sliders (are they called targa tops?) might be cool, but I already have a power sunroof... To have the entire roof section opened up would be unique, especially on a Quad Cab.
Yes there was a factory Dak convertable.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
They make a sliding rag top, it is like a big sun roof, but is canvas and the leak like crazy (DON'T DO IT) a targa top is just like a t-top but it does not have the bar it is all one piece of glass. C4 vettes are targa tops

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man that sucks! Well, MotoRider (or anyone else), you know where I could get the kit for a targa top, cuz that sounds pretty nice too. I know they probly expensive but i'm bout to get me a few sponsorships so hopefully that will help some.

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
I have seen them at various places, truckin magazines, godfather customs...those are the only two I have seen off hand. I have always thought a regular cab with a targa would be sweet, or maybe even with extended cab?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Targa Tops

Targa tops are trick things. The trick for our trucks is the window frame that is part of the door. Vehicles with targa tops usually only have a door with a window (no frame surrounding the entire window). This allows the windows to seal up against the weather stripping mounted to the targa top. You would have to do some major modifications to your doors. If you pulled it off, it would be bad A$$. I though about it on an old junker Buick I had once, but decide to sell it has a whole vehicle in stead. Good Luck.

Later,

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
It would be interesting to see a convertible CC or QC Dakota, but I don't think that would ever happen because of the middle pillar. Your best bet is to go with a custom sunroof or ragtop.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man that looks nice! Reg Cab tho but still.. Well seeing as I don't have the money to get a quadcab convertible done since I went and asked my local custom shop about it... damn. Panoramic sunroof maybe... i've seen them but not for sale, and I don't want a ragtop... takes away from the sleekness I guess.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D-Draggin, u like right down the street from me!
that's crazy, I live in Goose Creek.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good idea...

Hey, i got one of those Factory build Dakota Convertibles Gen 1 :eek:wned: it was one of the last, a 1991. I loved the Body style, Specialy when the Top was Open. I thought about building a Hardtop out of mine, when i Saw the truck on Cardomain, looks realy nice, but a cc would look even nicer. Do you remember the Chevy in Romeo and Juliet with Leo di Caprio? Looks f**king great. I´ll check out if its possible and let you know. :banana2:

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh i forget: i think everybody knows AIM industries, they also got Convertible and Hardtop kits, but only till 96, i think two years ago i have seen for gen 2 and 3 too. I was searching for a new top for my old Dak. For those who are intrested i found a Convertible top maker who build me a new in Califonia, and send it to Germany, fits Perfekt, closes better than Original.

And i don´t know if you know but the Gen 1 Convertible is on the Official list of the 10 Greatest Convertibles ever build on Place 10. So it seems other like it to.
Greets from Germany

Check this out: http://www.truckn-store.com/product_list.asp?id=1808

·
Registered
406 Posts
yellow Convertable

hey guys, saw this truck at a show in Toronto late last year, it was nice but up close you could see things differently

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW! That looks great...
What do you think about that:
Cuting of the roof like that yellow Dak, and the parts of the doors that hold the window ( sorry don´t know how its called in english) weld it on the roof and make a Hardtop out of it, wich requires to slide the window down to open the doors. that could be build with an wiring kit like used for Mercedes CLK or different TVR´s. when have to weld something on the door, than we do it right and remove the doorhandles too. Seals to make it Rain and Weather proof would be found, there are enough japan 4x4 ´s and something like that wich work with the same method to close, only to hang the roof into some shakles in the rear end , and pull them down in the front. Perhaps closing with the original handles from the 90´s convertible Dak.
Do you like my idea? Who want to try too? im planning it for this winter..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wanted to do the same thing with mine, It would work, the biggest issue is how to get the windshield supported enough. Goin down the freeway the window would want to bend down. The only thing I could come up with was either a windwing(nope) or put a support bar that went from the top of the windshield down to the center cup holder, and have it removable for shows. Here is what I wanted it to look like

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
That would look killer if it was Body Dropped...

The only problem I have with Covertables... They just don't look right unless they are FULL show trucks... Slammed on 20s etc (IMHO)... Otherwise I'd cut my room off tomorrow!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No i think that won´t be a problem, my 91´dak has no bigger A-pillar (is it called so? ) , and you can even Sit on the Window. Only thing i would weld a 5mm steel into the open place above the windshield. I think this is enough.
And this truck above is damn great...
I am thinking about storing the roof on the Bed, with some work it would be perfekt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts