Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 4x4 K&N drop in Exhaust cut after Trany crossmember.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first 4x4 vehicle. Its a 99 Durango 4x4. it has the 5.9 Mag in it. pretty healthy over all. On average I'm seeing 12.9 to 13.2 mpg with 218k on the odometer.Since I've had the truck the 4x4 floor selector has been in neutral. My question is " Is this ok for daily driving???" i tried playing with the lever with no idea what I was doing. I think i tried to put it into 2hi and the dash said pt4wd it drove weird on the road so i immediatly pulled over. had a fight to get it back into neutral. i did both 4x4 changes i believe while idling in park. The truck has been in neutral for my daily. drive it freeway and surface streets. I want to play with my 4wd but dont want to get stuck again.

PS. Im a mechanic full time im just not familiar with 4wd anything. R&R it i got u. operational stuff. i needs some learning.

·
I hate you people.
2,820 Posts
It sounds like the lever may have been removed at one point and may not have been set back in the proper detent on the selector plate on the console. It does sound like you the NV242 as that model had the option for a 2HI and PT4WD. The way part time 4WD works is that it locks the front and rear driveshaft and transfer case relies on slipping wheel to maintain traction. Full time uses a friction coupling to run full time, but IDK if you have the FT4WD.

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 4x4 K&N drop in Exhaust cut after Trany crossmember.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the lines i was thinking. When i got the truck the shifter was loose as well. I had to slide under it and tighten the bolt. Is the leaver on the T case similar? just set it correctly and tight the bolt. How accessible is it? Also where is the "NV..." printed at on the t case. i want to see exactly what im working with down there. Me and my buddy are going to pull it down after the first of the year and hes going to teach me how to rebuild it. They do that stuff at the shop next door to where i work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts