Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
what is every one opinion on cut outs vs. dual? how much horse do each add? I want my dak to sound mean and drive fast which one of these is the best choice?

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
The biggest effect on the tone coming from your exhaust is the model of muffler being used. Having headers/bigger pipes/dual pipes will make a slight effect, but having a raunchy muffler will make all the difference.

My first muffler was a Flowmaster 40 2-chamber, and it was pretty mean. At the time I didn't have headers or cat-back, just a spliced muffler and I got compliments on it all the time from people who heard it, even other modified Dakota owners. The only downside was it droned inside the cabin quite a bit. The new MBRP muffler I have is VERY quiet inside the truck in comparison, with a nice tone when I romp on it.

Cutouts are nice and loud but are illegal for regular use. Combining a cutout pipe with a powerplate such as the McCord unit is fun and can be really obnoxious when open, but only makes a difference when open.

Single 3"/Single 3.5"/Double 2.5"/Double 3" is up to you... Even a single 3" exhaust is capable of handling what most configurations will throw at it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the info I went with the cut out and had it installed today by a local muffler shop the cost was cheap and the power gain was noticable. I'm still looking into a dual exhuast or even a single exhuast for regular use since you pointed out to me that the cut out is illegal.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
i went with the electric cut out
and it worked great till the deam thing felt apart.
i got mine from GTP and like i said 3 months latter it felt apart
they still wont do anything about it
its was good while i had it:mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts