Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
145 DB Club
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep exploding rear U-joints right at the yoke.....I have really bad wheel hop, and under hard acceleration the rear end squats more than I'm comfortable with.....I'm a welder/metal fabricator by trade so building a traction/ladder bar is no issue I already have an idea for the design and it wont be very pretty but will be very tough.....was kind of thinking of going with a square tubing, rather than round will be easier to build and just as tough if not better in my opinion.......I already plan on adding leaf helpers for hauling and to eliminate wheel hop somewhat, BUT I also don't wanna have them torqued up all the time and kill the ride of my truck.....I guess my main questions are will a ladder/traction bar do anything, where about should it be mounted on the frame, what are the basic rules of thumb for where to mount and that kind of stuff, or is it more of a trial and error type thing? My trucks 4x4 of course, body lift, manual trans .etc http://image.carcraft.com/f/featuredvehicles/ccrp_0909_1967_chevrolet_camaro/25349330+w799+h499+cr1+ar0/ccrp_0909_07_z+1967_chevrolet_camaro_z28+traction_bar.jpg
a visual of what I was kind of thinking something very basic and easy to build.....my truck doesn't have a lot of flex nor do I do anything where I flex the suspension out, but I wanna try to have it bind as little as possible as the suspension moves through its range of motion...

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts

Here is what I built. Its for a Powerstroke, and it had really bad wheel hop and the acceleration was rough. We took out his lift blocks and welded a box to replace them and tied the bars to it. Used round tubing, and then for having the ability to adjust used Tractor joints (the ones used on PTOs and such that adjust for different attachments) The acceleration doesnt kill your back now, no wheel hop, and rides just like it should. Preloading was a bitch, as we chained the truck to something solid, and put the truck in reverse to move the axle so he could adjust and hook up. It has quick disconnect pins on it, so if need be they can be taken off.

·
145 DB Club
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe round tubing and tractor joints would be better haha I have never seen ladder bars in person really so be kind where abouts would the front of the bar mount? To the frame directly or maybe a cross member? Getting as much info as possible before I try this lol

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
They mount to the axle, and then directly to frame. If you went to a cross member that could potentially harm whatever is being held by the member. You should really look at triangulating the rear end, that massively helps too. But whatever your preference.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
You are not making as much power as that powerstroke is, so you wont need the thickest stuff.

Traction bars like summit sells are good, I wouldnt mind them, BUT the biggest thing is that it wont fit your axle since yours is under the leaf spring, and 2 they hang down and I would rip them off with the places I go for work.

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
Kid, may I suggest you research ladder bars on leaf springs. Lots of movement geometry goin on. Jus sayin.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,205 Posts
Kid, may I suggest you research ladder bars on leaf springs. Lots of movement geometry goin on. Jus sayin.
Aww, come on...this was getting interesting.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
Okay, then why dont yall two Great ones chime in instead of acting like douchebags. Everyone always has room for improvements.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts

·
145 DB Club
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 years welding and fab work, plus 7 years apprenticing under my father in sheet-metal fab plus tons of construction experience geometry, design, .etc doesn't worry me thanks kinda have to be good at it in my line of work.....I have never looked up close at a ladder bar so I'm trying to get an idea of how to design it, find out exactly what I'm trying to build.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,205 Posts
2 years welding and fab work, plus 7 years apprenticing under my father in sheet-metal fab plus tons of construction experience geometry, design, .etc doesn't worry me thanks kinda have to be good at it in my line of work.....I have never looked up close at a ladder bar so I'm trying to get an idea of how to design it, find out exactly what I'm trying to build.
It has nothing to do with how to fabricate ladder bars, ladder bars and leaf spring suspensions function differently.

Don't let Skippy lead you into something he knows nothing about, do some research, or you will regret it.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
It has nothing to do with how to fabricate ladder bars, ladder bars and leaf spring suspensions function differently.

Don't let Skippy lead you into something he knows nothing about, do some research, or you will regret it.
I know nothing about? How so? Correct me or shut the fuck up. Never said I was 100% right, so instead of being an ass you could lend a helping word or two.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I know nothing about? How so? Correct me or shut the fuck up. Never said I was 100% right, so instead of being an ass you could lend a helping word or two.
well said

·
145 DB Club
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed haha I have given up on this idea I have overloads and tow shocks on it now and there is absolutely zero axle wrap haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts