Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 4x4 K&N drop in Exhaust cut after Trany crossmember.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm attempting what i see as entirely feasible. I have very thick walled steel tubing. Im going to cut those to length and use that to lift the Durango. Cost me $8. If your still with me then next idea is to cut them less then the original 3" or so to accommodate new body bushing cut down placed at one end or both. Any thoughts on that subject is appreciated. Brackets for fan shroud neglibable at this point may shift to E-fan. Not sure how they compare to long Vegas off road trip in the heat. Next to address is the bumper brackets. Nope filling centers with Lightbars and rest with mesh. The thing I havnt figured out is the lengthing of the steering shaft. im making a custom lift so im not sure how to go about figuring out how much to extend it. Is there enough play to where i dont have to be too precise. Also where is the easiest place to lengthen it. I have access to fully equipped CNC and Drive train shops. Still easiest and cheapest is my usual goal. This I'm hoping will allow me to run 33/12.5/15 on stock rims. If pics of anything is needed to help please let me know and I will post them.

·
Registered
721 Posts
So I'm attempting what i see as entirely feasible. I have very thick walled steel tubing. Im going to cut those to length and use that to lift the Durango. Cost me $8. If your still with me then next idea is to cut them less then the original 3" or so to accommodate new body bushing cut down placed at one end or both. Any thoughts on that subject is appreciated. Brackets for fan shroud neglibable at this point may shift to E-fan. Not sure how they compare to long Vegas off road trip in the heat. Next to address is the bumper brackets. Nope filling centers with Lightbars and rest with mesh. The thing I havnt figured out is the lengthing of the steering shaft. im making a custom lift so im not sure how to go about figuring out how much to extend it. Is there enough play to where i dont have to be too precise. Also where is the easiest place to lengthen it. I have access to fully equipped CNC and Drive train shops. Still easiest and cheapest is my usual goal. This I'm hoping will allow me to run 33/12.5/15 on stock rims. If pics of anything is needed to help please let me know and I will post them.
It's far easier to use a set of basic body blocks. If you look around, you can usually find them cheap. Check your local off road shops. They may have a box full of them that they might want to sell very cheap. It would save you a lot of work too.
I find factory mechanical fans to work best, If you go with an electric fan, try to find a two speed factory fan. Electric fans from a Taurus are popular and pretty dependable. Aftermarket electric fans can be a big question mark on dependability.
Drop down fan shroud brackets shouldn't be too difficult to build.
The steering shaft should be long enough to accommodate a 3 inch body lift, they do have a slip joint…but! If you have access to a drivetrain shop, you may want to consider having them build a steering shaft with a u-joint to replace the typical rag joint thats normally used.
You should be able to run 33s on stock rims but the 12.5" width may cause some front end fender and possibly frame rub when the suspension is flexed. Also, if I remember correctly, the factory rims are about 8" inches wide. This means those tires are a bit too wide for those rims and will cause the tire to ballon at the tread, put more stress on the beads and reduce handling. If you could find a narrower tire, you would be better off. If you can't find a narrower tire, you might want to consider a 32 X 10.5 or a wider rim with the same offset

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts