Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried this out yesterday and wow it actually works nicely. Using turtle wax polishing compound I applied several coats to my headlamps including all the crevices on the sides of em and the top (where it's the worst). After buffing all the polishing cream off after it dried I noticed immediately how much clearer and newer the lenses looked. Obviously buying a brand new one would be the better way to go in order to look 100% brand new (since it is lol), but for three dollars and 15 minutes, this is really worth it. I wish I had before and after pics to prove it, but unfortunately i don't have any pics close up with the lights before.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Virtually any mild abrasive will do it such as many of the clear coat buffing combounds, mother's wheel polish etc. If they are really bad, you can start out with wet sand paper. Late 80's-early 90's Mustang lights are notorious for yellowing. A lot of the people on the Mustang forums including myself buff them out but be forewarned they will yellow again pretty quick. I do mine pretty much every spring.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i noticed the worst yellowing on mustangs and explorers. My lenses weren't really all that yellow, the top however (on the left side in particular) was starting to show it, and actually the left was yellower overall than the right. Don't get why better headlight lenses can't be manufactured that resists oxidation...it's the 21st century for crying out loud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts