Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy a turbo off a 5.9 cummins for a very cheap price. I am building a turbo setup for my truck and was planning on using a t70. Will the turbo off a cummins be good to use? or is it too big or small? what about a powerstroke or duramax?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
333 Posts
can you interchange gas and diesel turbos?

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
lol a turbo is a turbo. It will probably be to big...

·
Registered
344 Posts
My buddy has a holset turbo off of a cummins on his civic which has a 1.6L sohc in it. He has been 11.18 @ 128 with this turbo. I bet it wouldnt be too bad of a match on a much bigger 360 ci motor, even on lower boost, if you dont have the engine to handle high boost levels.

18,185 Posts
My buddy has a holset turbo off of a cummings on his civic which has a 1.6L sohc in it. He has been 11.18 @ 128 with this turbo. I bet it wouldnt be too bad of a match on a much bigger 360 ci motor, even on lower boost, if you dont have the engine to handle high boost levels.

Never heard of a Cummings engine

·
Registered
429 Posts
The HX35 is pretty small for a 360.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
the cummins might be a 360 cu in diesel, but it maxes out at what? 3,000 rpm?

I would think that the gas 360 would need a lot more volume for higher RPM operation.

maybe 2 cummins turbos?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I will say this . . The diesel is the exact opposite concept that a gas engine has. The more air / less fuel (to a point) you throw at a diesel the better it runs (lean) . . . Gas is the opposite . . . What im saying is that I believe a diesel turbo creates way too much boost for a gas engine and you are asking for an issue as far as burning up pistons cuz you ran it way too lean.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The HX35 is pretty small for a 360.
+1

You will be way off the efficiency island on the compressor map.

2 would work ok, but they are physically large and would be hard to put in the engine bay and it would be hard to get low (less than 20something) boost levels with the factory wastegate actuator.

·
I Heart Boost...and M/T's
5,951 Posts
I will say this . . The diesel is the exact opposite concept that a gas engine has. The more air / less fuel (to a point) you throw at a diesel the better it runs (lean) . . . Gas is the opposite . . . What im saying is that I believe a diesel turbo creates way too much boost for a gas engine and you are asking for an issue as far as burning up pistons cuz you ran it way too lean.
Gas is the opposite? Huh? I don't think so. Running a gas engine lean also creates more power (to a point)

Dont you know what a wastegate is? It controls the amount of pressure the turbo is going to make by deflecting the exhaust pressure around the turbine. You want to have a turbine housing large enough that its not going to cause excesive back pressure. This may reduce the low RPM spool, but will create the power where you want it. Diesels can use smaller turbines because their RPMs are limited and they want to have the boost at a low RPM range. On the other hand, they have large compressors. This makes those turbos (hx35/hx30) a good turbo for any smaller engine. Anywhere from 1.8-2.5liters seems to be a good match for a HX35 as long as it has a good flowing head.

·
I Heart Boost...and M/T's
5,951 Posts
+1

You will be way off the efficiency island on the compressor map.

2 would work ok, but they are physically large and would be hard to put in the engine bay and it would be hard to get low (less than 20something) boost levels with the factory wastegate actuator.
That can be solved by using a different actuator with a lighter spring, and modifying the brackets. Or throw on some external wastegates.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have an old turbomaster that would work well for that. It basically uses drive pressure against the wastegate to control boost.

·
Registered
242 Posts

x2, i have a 5.9 ltr CTD in my 05 ram, my stock turbo will hit 40 lbs of boost easily at 2400 rpms.. it will blow the heads off your 360. i have hit it so hard on several occasions that it has blown out exhaust gaskets and it has also blown the thermocouplers (EGT meter) out of the exhaust

·
Hot Rods need 3 pedals!
1,409 Posts
aside from Ed does anyone actually understand about turbo sizing? Lots of people are speculating and throwing in there 2 cents when no one seems to actually know or understand...

·
Hot Rods need 3 pedals!
1,409 Posts
the cummins 5.9s came with a few different turbo's. Like ed said a single would be too small for a 360 but twins would be ok (and yes it will fit in the engine compartment). And it all depends on what you want outta the motor and what the compressor maps say

·
Hot Rods need 3 pedals!
1,409 Posts
x2, i have a 5.9 ltr CTD in my 05 ram, my stock turbo will hit 40 lbs of boost easily at 2400 rpms.. it will blow the heads off your 360. i have hit it so hard on several occasions that it has blown out exhaust gaskets and it has also blown the thermocouplers (EGT meter) out of the exhaust
so its creating back pressure?

·
Registered
242 Posts
well yeah it is i guess. she just spools faster and hits harder than most stock turbos before the waste gate will dump it. most of my buddies are lucky to get 30 lbs out of their stock turbos. I can hit 30 without even trying.

lets get realistic. in 130k miles i have only blown out two gaskets, the ones before the turbo below the exhaust manifold. it is a ten minute fix. i will trade that $4.00 gasket for a truck that produces as much power as mine any day.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts