Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. New to the thread. Appreciate any help. I have a 2001 durango 4.7 AWD. The problem is I hear a grinding/crunchin noise from the front end while I'm accelerating. At a coast it is fine. It happens in awd and all 4wd selections. I just replaced my wheel bearings which helped due to the fact that they were bad as well. It started after I had to go on an off road adventure for a job site. Deep muddy rutts and water holes. That's what shot the wheel bearings. I've lifted the front end and left it in awd set the e brake and put it into gear. It made the crunching noise as the front wheel started to accelerate and quoted once I reached idle speed. When I hit the breaks it would crunch again and then again when brake was released. I lowered it to drive 1 mile to parts store to get another oil catch pan and silicone. No noise whatsoever after about 300ft of driving. Did great there an back. Got it back in air now and I can't get it to make noise. This had happened before. It seems to be worse with cold weather. Cause today is warmer and now no problems. Also the front diff is full. But It sou da like that's where the noise is coming from. At this point I have no idea. Please help! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Check your front driveshaft. They can make all sorts of weird noises when the CV joints start to fail.

You can remove it temporarily to test it. Just be sure to use 4 hi if you do so you don't fry the t-case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as of now it has stopped. By disconnecting the front drive shaft, if it were making noise and I did that it would only tell me that it could be cv's or the front diff. I am trying to isolate which one. I'm led to believe its the diff simply because it turns fine with no additional noise. :/ hmmm

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It won't isolate the differential or the CV joints at the wheels. As long as the truck is moving all those parts rotate.

I wasn't clear with the terminology - there is a CV joint in the the propeller shaft that can dry up and go bad. It connects the transfer case to the front differential.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhhh now I gotcha. I was wondering about that. That universal looks fine, you can usually see play in them, or the rubber being squished around the caps. Unless its just completely dried up... What about the spline side? Nothing could go wrong there? See I'm drawn dead because I can't get it to make the noise. And the problem is I'm working in North Dakota but I live in WA state. I'm trying to drive her home to sell or trade to get me a bran new ram:) but it's 900 miles. So if it decides to act up I could be stranded:/ I'm going to take it for a test ride again shortly

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Do you mean the u-joint side? The splines are in the middle, sort of. A dry u-joint can make noise too.

If it acts up you can drive it - safely - removed. You just have to shift into 4wd lock so you don't burn up the t-case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts