Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, Took the Durango to the dealership(I won't say where because I'm not making accusations) for an issue with my idle surging. Basically gave away $100.00 and an hour of my life. Upon arriving home, I opened the hood and began troubleshooting my idle problem. I then noticed a puddle on the driveway under the front of the engine. I figured it was oil dripping from the oil filter that I had installed the night before. I then crawled under the vehicle to check the filter, no seepage. I started the vehicle again and fluid was dripping from the bumper, I followed the fluid trail to the radiator petcock. The petcock was open and dripping coolant!!! The coolant resivor was bone dry! Ive never opened the petcock since I purchased the D last March. I shut the petcock. Then I noticed on the invoice, there was mention of coolant leak from the front of the engine! Why wouldn't the dealer Tech even try to locate the cause of the leak? Also, I spoke with him after and he never mentioned that I had a coolant leak. I checked all fluids that afternoon on my lunch break and coolant was full, as it always has been. Ive done the flush/fill at Valvoline and then at this dealership several months after(last July) thinking they would do a better job. There is no reason they should have opened the petcock. Here are my possible explanations and Id like to hear what you all have to say
1. Some dumbass at the dealership opened it(for whatever reason)and forgot to close it
2. Some employee was offended by my "Trump 2016" and "Hilary for Prison 2016" bumper stickers and wanted to blow up my engine
3. The mechanic opened it thinking he'd get paid again to close it and claim he fixed something.
4. A road gremlin latched onto my truck on the way from work to the dealership(2 miles) and opened the petcock.
My gut says #2 since I think they are a union shop.
I requested to watch the security cameras but was told that there are none in the service area. It just seems suspicious that I all of the sudden had a coolant leak when I got home from the dealership and that the mechanic wouldn't even try to locate where the coolant leak was coming from.
##UPDATE### I went to a dealership in a city forty miles away and there were security cameras in the service area. The dealership I'm having issues with is newer, larger and has a state of the art facility. Id assume that there would be cameras in the service area to protect the company in the event of injury claims or fender benders.

·
9,489 Posts
Second that.. However it will be highly unlikely that there will be an incriminating angle here - those security cameras are for watching their tools and equipment, not watching the service.

·
17,622 Posts
I wouldn't even worry too much about it. Top of the fluid. File an online complaint against dealership and forget about it. Just don't ever go back to that dealer. There isn't going to be any "resolution" specifically to you for anything.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I wouldn't even worry too much about it. Top of the fluid. File an online complaint against dealership and forget about it. Just don't ever go back to that dealer. There isn't going to be any "resolution" specifically to you for anything.
I agree with this. If you don't want to get burned then don't let anyone work on your cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts