Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been hearing a hissing noise from my engine bay for about a month now that wasn't there right after I installed my FIPK... I shrugged it off and figured it was nothing. Well today I decided to check out my engine bay and to my dismay I took my air tube off and found that the air hat is cracked in several spots under where the bolt washer was so it wasnt noticeable until taken off. Im almost positive that it cracked because of improper installation because there are several other signs. I was just curious what you guys think is best system for dakotas. I really liked the gains from the FIPK and the setup. I like the IP intakes and 360 also but have seen people who have had trouble with them. let me hear what you guys have to say. Price doesnt really matter because my parents said they would replace it for me. :mullet:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Just send it back to K&N for a new free tube....and properly install this one. Don't over tighten the nut that holds the air hat. Also, did you use the brace that came with the kit?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Can't comment about the IP system but the 360 would be fine if not for the damn airhat...that thing does not seal well (I used a high temp silicon to seal it properly) and i never figured out why they didn't make it line up with the original location for the bolt instead of providing a replacement s bolt thing. Also my airhat got somewhat deformed already, not sure how. If i had to do it again, I'd just prolly cut out the stock airbox in the bottom with a dremel, remove the rubber flap between the headlight and the fan shroud and put in a drop in K&N. That would probably work as good if not near as good. If you wanted a better look, replacing the rubber tube with a metal mandrel bent pipe would be an easy solution.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is I didn't install it... the exhaust shop that I ordered it through did it for me. Yes they used the brace. Going to check out my warranty thingy on my FIPK. IF you want anything done right I guess I have to do it myself :finger:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It's ok if you didn't install it. Snap some pics, send em over to K&N......they'll respond to you...if they need more pictures or something. You should have a new one within days.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It happens,It cracked on mine,They will send you a new one,You have to send yours back when you get a replacement,Talk to Marti (Lady in Warranty department)

RICK

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I love my IP. however they've stop production for a minute. they're tubes have a flaw :mullet: check out the warning on they're site.....http://www.intenseperformance.com send yours back to K&N. I've heard they don't have a problem with warranty items...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you guys suggest any modifications to the bolt on the top of the air hat to prevent cracking if i get mine replaced?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
don't crank on it :huh: are you referring to the S bolt? that's for the 360 hat.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
rockadaous said:
don't crank on it :huh: are you referring to the S bolt? that's for the 360 hat.

I had to make the "S" bolt for my K&N FIPK.

Just don't overtighten the nut and you will be fine. I think K&N will ask you to have the date in the pic some how. either with you camera or just by holding up the newspaper in the pic. I don't know this is just what I have heard.

·
Registered
826 Posts
They will ask if you have a TB spacer or a Bodylift,Those two things can cause it to set on a angle,No dated photos where asked when I needed a replacement

RICK

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
dakotaR/T2003 said:
you guys suggest any modifications to the bolt on the top of the air hat to prevent cracking if i get mine replaced?
The tubes braking in various places is pretty common. I've been through several. For the particular area you are talking about, I put large washer inder the nut to fit into the recess in the top of the hat. I also cut out a rubber gasket for under the washer against the hat. The washer will help out the stress a little. Mine is currently cracked there a little but the washer and rubber gasket seal it. Also, don't over tighten.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are sending me a new one that should he here in a few days... Hey Neil... do you have any pictures of what you have done? Im more of a visual person hehe I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
It's very simple. Get a large washer that fits the center bolt. Get a piece of rubber gasket material. You can get some in hadware stores. Make a hole in a piece to fit the bolt. The easiest way is to use a drill. Sandwch the rubber between two pieces of wood and drill through. Cut the rubber around the hole to the same size as the washer. Put the washer on the bolt, the rubber under the bolt and the bolt through the air hat.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I got my new air tube today and went to install it but my new tube is a little longer and sits a little higher so it won't fit properly into the heat shield! :dammit: :dammit: :dammit: What should I do? Im ready to just drop the stock air intake back into my truck because it doesn't sound like there are any flawless units out there. Its to bad I don't have my stock air intake :finger: :finger: :finger:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I don't know how old your previous one was. I originaly had one of the first run units. When the cracking issues began, K&N went to a thicker plastic. When I got a new design replacement it did sit higher and I started saying the same things you did. I called K&N and they assured me it was the correct one. It did not seem to line up with the shield but a minor adjust ment of the shield and crank down on the hold down bolt to flatten the hat, and it fit fine. I did not have any problems with it being longer.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess what.... I wake up this morning to fiddle with it some more and it fits fine.... :huh: I had to rest the heat shield on a large spacer to reach where the new tube goes but besides that everything fits fine... whats weird is I did the exact same things this morning as last night :rofl: :huh: :rofl: Whatever Im just glad its back to normal....

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
sometimes it takes walking away for a minute :huh:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats what my mom said but I was stuborn and wouldn't listen :dammit: I love my mom :) she rocks! :mullet:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts