Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Wicked: Did the panels just pop off?? I havent tried to pry mine off yet, easier to ask the question first. I want to do the same thing. Change mine from cloth to leather. Let me know the procedure to get them off. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unfortunately they are held on with plastic rivets that have to be ground down. That's what i did. I ground the rivets down with my dremel tool and a sanding disk just to where i could pop the insert off. Then you will see that the rivet is actually hollow. I used some self tapping screws (ill get back to you on the size) and some washers to put the inserts back on.

To apply the vinyl i used some spray adhesive and staples on the back to hold it in place. Just make sure you get the leather/vinyl or whatever stretched as tight as possible over the insert. I havent tried leather so im not real sure how it will fold at the corners but as i said get it as tight as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the way i did it. Some people have had luck with just tucking the fabric behind the insert and it'll stay. Unfortunately that wasnt the case with my situation. All i can say is just make sure you dont break the stem of the rivet on the insert and it should be ok. (you'll see what im talking about)

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the reply......I guess the whole door panel has to come off to get to the rivets you were talking about.

Leather may be a bit hard to work with as you say, may have to go vinyl. Either way, thanks for the tips, they will definately come in handy. Yours turned out just like I need mine to. Good job.

Did you cover over the original fabric or remove the old stuff and put on new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts