Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Work Truck
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might make me sound like a tool but, What should be done to prep my engine to be powerwashed? Did a little wheeling today to test my new tires...Performed Excellent, however I was driving through some relatively deep muddy water tryin' my best to keep up with my buddy's Land Rover Defender TDI and as expected it covered my engine in mud. I was also wondering if anyone new of a way to protect the engine from this happening in the future. And just one more dumb question. What type of diff does a 2wd dak have? (Looking into picking up a Powertrax Traction System once I've got some cash and all the important stuff is finished.)

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
powerwashed? U mean like just going to a car wash and spraying it off?....nothing, just pop ur hood and start spraying, of course not spraying directly at any wires or anything that look like they would get damaged. U dont have a open element filter or anything do u? Cuz i wouldnt recomend spraying that directly either. And what do u mean by what kind of differential...i think theres two different kind...8 1/2 and 9 1/4 or something like that, not sure, someone will come on here and correct me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I am just washing dried mud off the motor I just use a power washer and leave the motor running while I spray. Seems everytime I shut the motor off and wash it I have to wait for it to dry off before it'll start again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
if you have an open air filter then just cover it w/ a plastic bag or something. and just don't directly spray wires or anything. and your differentials are 8.25" and 9.25", definitely get the powertrax it is very helpful and works great, i have nothing to complain about it.

·
Work Truck
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Yeah I'll just keep the engine goin and stay away from electrical components. And at three hundred somethin' dollars I don't think I can go wrong pickin up the Powertrax traction system.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
If you get a Powertrax locker, make sure to get the LockRight and not the NoSlip. Though some have used the NoSlip without problems, you might not be so lucky. You'll have less problems with the LockRight. You'll love having a locker back there though... :biggthump

·
Work Truck
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why the lock right? My truck does a lot of street driving and a decent amount of driving in the snow. Granted I like to do a little wheeling with my friends and they both drive land rovers so they like to lead me through some shitty stuff but its never that bad. I don't know too much about either product but doesn't my driving style require something that would be good off road but also good on the road? Which would be the no slip correct?

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
Yes, the No-Slip has "better" manners for the road, but I've heard from hardcore experience offroaders, that the difference really isn't there. I know of an R/T guy who had one in his truck, and it blew up on him. It left him with 1-wheel-drive. From the problems I've hard about Richmond having with the No-Slip, I'd just stick with the LockRight to make sure nothing happens. JMO though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.