Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 hours of prying, hammering and cursing I gave up. I got all the bolts out easy. Just couldn't move the front u-joint end back far enough to clear the pinion flange and get the sucker out. I guess the splines must have been rusted tight. Any tips for the next trip?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes all bolts removed. Just hope not all driveshafts in the junkyard will be frozen like this one.

·
Registered
799 Posts
jack up the rear of the tcase and remove the trans mount bolts to gain more clearance to pull the front shaft when this works pull out an 03 driveshaft out of a 5.9 rango for me

·
Registered
984 Posts
jack up the rear of the tcase and remove the trans mount bolts to gain more clearance to pull the front shaft when this works pull out an 03 driveshaft out of a 5.9 rango for me
Man the yard I was at today was loaded with Rangos! If you really need one let me know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was at one junkyard Sunday and found one truck with the correct driveshaft. Spent 2 hours prying, hammering and cursing to try and get that thing out but the splines must have been frozen and I quit. Today I went to another place that had one but the rear CV joint was busted so I passed. Maybe I should go back and get it and just replace the CV joint which is probably going to be worn out on a used shaft anyway.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I was at one junkyard Sunday and found one truck with the correct driveshaft. Spent 2 hours prying, hammering and cursing to try and get that thing out but the splines must have been frozen and I quit. Today I went to another place that had one but the rear CV joint was busted so I passed. Maybe I should go back and get it and just replace the CV joint which is probably going to be worn out on a used shaft anyway.
they are in ujoint flang or flat flange no splines to remove the problem can be trans mount worn drops and or front diff shifts worn bent mount even frame damage causing binding or pressure thats why I say undo trans mount bolts jack it up at the rear so the tranfercase front flange moves back and up removing tension and giving room to release flange so you can pull it out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts