Dakota Durango Forum banner

Cooling System Difference

17K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Dodgeballs 
#1 ·
I have 2003 dakota 4.7L 4x4 and am going to have to probaly replace the radiator and am wondering what the difference in the Max cool system and the non max cool. My truck came with the Max cool and my dealer can't tell me what the difference is except for the price. The radiator dealers say there is only 1 radiator for that year/engine...thanks for any help!!

#2 ·
Max cool radiator is 1.5" thick with a two row core. The regular radiator is 1" thick with a single row core. That .5" makes a world of difference.

Reactions: marcgude
#4 · (Edited)
Does the larger radiator fit in place of the smaller radiator?

After looking on dodgeparts.com, it looks like the only component that specifies with or without max cooling is the radiator itself, so I guess the bigger radiator should fit fine.

#7 ·
Where did you get this information? Dodge's parts database for 2000-2002 clearly shows two different radiators, a Max Cool and a non-Max Cool system, with different part numbers, dimensions and prices...I think that means there are two different radiators. Are you saying the 4.7L/5.2L/5.9L use the same radiator?

#18 ·
What would be the point? If you want a heavy duty cooling radiator for your 4.7L, get the CSF 3516 radiator. The core thickness is 1.63" vs 1.25" of the typical aftermarket. That's even thicker than the OEM 1.5" two row that comes with the tow pkg. Got one in my truck right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.