Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 dakota 4.7L 4x4 and am going to have to probaly replace the radiator and am wondering what the difference in the Max cool system and the non max cool. My truck came with the Max cool and my dealer can't tell me what the difference is except for the price. The radiator dealers say there is only 1 radiator for that year/engine...thanks for any help!!

·
I drive with two feet
1,615 Posts
Max cool radiator is 1.5" thick with a two row core. The regular radiator is 1" thick with a single row core. That .5" makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
yeah what he said, and you def want the larger rad and not the smaller one. make sure the replacement is the correct one. you would def be able to see the difference by looking at them before you do the install.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does the larger radiator fit in place of the smaller radiator?

After looking on dodgeparts.com, it looks like the only component that specifies with or without max cooling is the radiator itself, so I guess the bigger radiator should fit fine.

·
Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!
2,496 Posts
doesn't matter, there is only one radiator for our trucks. doesn't matter what size engine you have.

·
Registered
215 Posts
doesn't matter, there is only one radiator for our trucks. doesn't matter what size engine you have.
Where did you get this information? Dodge's parts database for 2000-2002 clearly shows two different radiators, a Max Cool and a non-Max Cool system, with different part numbers, dimensions and prices...I think that means there are two different radiators. Are you saying the 4.7L/5.2L/5.9L use the same radiator?

·
Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!
2,496 Posts
Where did you get this information? Dodge's parts database for 2000-2002 clearly shows two different radiators, a Max Cool and a non-Max Cool system, with different part numbers, dimensions and prices...I think that means there are two different radiators. Are you saying the 4.7L/5.2L/5.9L use the same radiator?
Radiators are all the same v-6, and all the v8s. I've replaced 2 in 2 different truck, same radiator. One was a 2000 4.7, the other was a 2002 5.9. Same part number, both looked exactly the same :huh: Max cool package is an extra tranny cooler as well as a PS cooler, I believe.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Nope...

The manual tranny trucks (and some autos as well) had the 1" thick radiator. Most of the automatic trucks came with the 1.5" radiator.

They did all mount the same (97-99 behind core support, 00+ underneath), max cool or not.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Radiators are all the same v-6, and all the v8s. I've replaced 2 in 2 different truck, same radiator. One was a 2000 4.7, the other was a 2002 5.9. Same part number, both looked exactly the same :huh: Max cool package is an extra tranny cooler as well as a PS cooler, I believe.
I believe you that the V6 through V8 has the same setup but several people on this thread and Dodge lead me to believe that there are two different radiators, one for V6-V8 w/maxcool and one for V6-V8 w/o maxcool. Why would Dodge list two different p/n radiators for a vehicle, with a $50 difference in price, if they were exactly the same?:huh:

If there are two part numbers, two dimensions, two prices and two cooling group options...I think it stands to reason that there are, in fact, two different radiators.
---
My '00 4.7L Durango, 4x4, towing package has a radiator that's between 1 7/16 and 1.5", has a trans cooler integrated into the radiator which is in series with an auxiliary trans cooler in front of the A/C condensor that goes the full width of the radiator and maybe 4" tall, it's a MASSIVE aux. cooler! I have a hard time believing they'd use the same radiator with an integrated A/T cooler on a manual truck.

·
Registered
863 Posts
If there are two part numbers, two dimensions, two prices and two cooling group options...I think it stands to reason that there are, in fact, two different radiators.
I think you are over thinking this.

Read modain's response above...There are two radiators available for your truck.

Get the max cooling one and be done with it :drive:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think you are over thinking this.

Read modain's response above...There are two radiators available for your truck.

Get the max cooling one and be done with it :drive:
I'm responding to buzzbass trying to tell us there's only one radiator, there's no doubt in my mind that there are two and that I want the larger one.

·
White Trash
2,373 Posts
my white truck came with a single row radiator. i bought a replacement that's twice as thick. it's not a dual row.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4.7 and I was wondering if i could take a 5.2 radiator and use that on my 4.7. Does anybody have any knowledge about this???

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 4.7 and I was wondering if i could take a 5.2 radiator and use that on my 4.7. Does anybody have any knowledge about this???
What would be the point? If you want a heavy duty cooling radiator for your 4.7L, get the CSF 3516 radiator. The core thickness is 1.63" vs 1.25" of the typical aftermarket. That's even thicker than the OEM 1.5" two row that comes with the tow pkg. Got one in my truck right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts