Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Ok here is my problem. I have a 2001 Durango 4.7 and is loosing coolant, No leaks found ( yes this has the rear heater and a/c ). I filled it up now it blows it out the over flow, no it is not over heating ( checked it and also the guage does not show it over heating and no warning lights from the computer or codes ). Local garage ( trust the guys plus I do work for them on the side ), could not find anything did a pressure test and pulled a vacum on the cooling system, and checked the cap 21 pound (even replaced it) ... all good. Like I said no leaks, no smells unless it comes out of the over flow. All summer it was ok now it is cold out and it acting up.... when the coolant comes out of the over flow it is like someones dumping it out, not steaming out like when it is over heated. Not even my friends at the dealer service center understand it.

ok now ill take you back to the beginning. 5 years ago it EXPLODED the rear heater core,. Dealer (father inlaw is a manager there and I know alot of the mechanics ) replaced it ( warranty ). 6 months later it happened again, fixed it under warranty. 2 years ago lost the relay for the electric fan (over heated ), again fixed. 4 to 6 months later it over heated again blow out the bottom of the radiator (plastic junk), again fixed (warranty). 3 months later another fan stopped but we caught it nothing broke but the radiator warped and it the fan, again warranty. 2 weeks later fan stopped again but i caught it and noticed the radiator was in the fan... warranty expired (screwed) so I spaced the electric 1/4 inch away.... no problems... now I am back to problems as I stated above.

What is going on with this "Lemon" durango ????????????? I don't have any smells or leaks (unless it coming out of the over flow) no tranny problems no heater problems as of yet, but I am sure they will come sooner or later. Yes it has a extra trans cooler and its own fan.

My wife drives it most of the time and does not beat it and it is serviced 3 times a year, oil changed every 3000 miles.
[/SIZE]MS"]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry this was so long but I wanted to answer some questions before they got asked and give some history about this truck, also I bought it used after a friend returned it from a lease and it never had a computer code or problem.

B

·
0 Posts
Does this only happen after the engine warms up? The reason I ask that is because years ago I had a '65 Mustang 289 that did the exact same thing. After many trips to the mechanic and lots of $$$ spent, the problem turned out to be a small crack in the block between the coolant chamber and the exhaust port that only opened up after the engine had warmed up. The exhaust was going into the coolant system and causing an instant overheating issue. Ended up having to repace the engine. Just a suggestion.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Ask the shop if they can check a sample of coolant for by products of combustion. This would tell you if there is a headgasket issue that is leaking pressure into the system.

If it blew the heater core up, there is a serious pressure issue with your system...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we had that idea but we drove it all this summer with no problems at. We ruled it out seeing this goes for months with out any problems then one day there it is... when it is running and up to temp even after a long road trip or after the wife gets done directing traffic, there is no smell or leaks... My wife drives 40 to 50 miles every day not including running to fire calls and letting it sit running with the light on for sometimes 2 to 3 hours.... the local police department has a 2001 Durango that has the same motor and build month month and they have not had any problems other then dropping several trannies. They bought it at the same dealer were my father inlaw works and is only a normal durango just painted and added lights and radio. Only reason I know this is I did the install on the emergency lights. only thing that is different is the axle gearing and no leather. Today she took it to work so I could have my truck to plow snow and she said it did not act up. waiting for her to call me, she was going to check it at lunch time to see if any now was green anywere under the truck..

B

·
0 Posts
The Mustang didn't leak any coolant either except when it blew it out the overflow tube.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the wife went to work 58 miles both ways. Nothing happened, no over flow discharge at all. it snowed most of the morning so green snow or a puddle under the truck would have been easy to find, she said none at all... she came home and we went and ran the kids to skating party, went to the store, and the mini market, the wife sat in the durango while I ran in for her mt dew and my skoal and a coffee and I left it running, still nothing... I told her "I think it gets PMS every once in a while" ..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do a compression check and a Leak down check on all cylinders after it warmed up to operating temp. This should hopefully rule out and internal engine problems.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bleeder valve on the 4.7

Don't want to be a nitpick, but what engine do youhave, T-Bone? Reason I asked is cause if you have a 4.7, there's a seperate bleeder valve you have to use to burp the coolant system.

OK found this in the "Gen 1 Durango" section under "Again with the overheat !!!" What is (I know what it does but not what dodge made it look like) and were is it located. Pic would be nice. going to spend some time going over this if I do not have to plow in the morning or run allot of fire calls picking up drunks that crash (ad the ice we are having makes for a long night).

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Do a compression check and a Leak down check on all cylinders after it warmed up to operating temp. This should hopefully rule out and internal engine problems.

Keep us posted.

Hardly. A compression check is going to tell you that the pistons are moving up and down and that the valves MAY be doing what they are supposed to and a cylinder leakage check, depending on the psi that you use, may not tell you anything at all. So you could do both of these checks and have the numbers appear to be normal and still have a blown head gasket.

If you have an engine that is blowing coolant out the overflow, has a history of blowing coolant components apart, doesn't overheat, that only leaves one thing....excess pressure is being introduced into the cooling system, the only place for this pressure to come from is the cylinder, so you either have a blown cylinder head gasket or a cracked block. Being that cracked blocke are extremely rare these days chances are the head gaskets are toast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts