Dakota Durango Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
When coolant bubbles up in the overflow tank it is usually a head gasket leak allowing pressure to escape from the exhaust side of the motor into the cooling system. Must be the start of a small leak. You can try some sealer, but it probably wont work as the pressure is blowing it out, but it's worth a jar of bar leaks. A leak in the intake side of a head gasket will suck the anti freeze into the motor. So Sorry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
thanks for the update with that.

i just wanted to update my thread. i never had a problem with it blowing out the coolant over the winter (not sure why). but into the spring, then summer, and now into fall...everything has been working fine (knocking on wood). there was one time i noticed that the level in the overflow bottle was not showing, so i topped it off in the bottle and it has still been ok. no issues, no blowing out of the tank, fans coming on when they should and cooling down as it should. makes absolutely no sense.....especially since i did absolutely nothing to it since i last posted.

sucks b/c everything is working as it should, but now i'm getting transmission fault codes.....it never ends :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
Same thing happened with my 4.7 (but no trans fault codes). It seems to have fixed itself just when I was resigned to replacing the head gaskets. All I did was I kept manually transferring from the reservoir to the radiator cap. It kept getting less and less that I needed to transfer until it stayed full at the cap all by itself. Took the truck on a trip to Canada and back this summer with no overheating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder if you've gotten anywhere ebxgsxr. I have an issue with coolant spitting out what looks like the return hose from the cap to the reservoir, though the hose look like its in good condition. I can't explain the leak.

I've had similar overheating issues with the truck for about 3 years now. I'm also going to check the oil. Have you ever had any coolant in your oil, or did you have to replace the head gaskets afterall?

As reference, I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Quad Cab.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wonder if you've gotten anywhere ebxgsxr. I have an issue with coolant spitting out what looks like the return hose from the cap to the reservoir, though the hose look like its in good condition. I can't explain the leak.

I've had similar overheating issues with the truck for about 3 years now. I'm also going to check the oil. Have you ever had any coolant in your oil, or did you have to replace the head gaskets afterall?

As reference, I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Quad Cab.
http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2009/12/misfire-and-coolant-loss-dodge-4-7-possible-head-gasket/

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
sent you a message spamectomy. sorry, i haven't been on the forums in a long time since the truck is no longer my daily. but it's still useful and runs ok, so no point in getting rid of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I read this post a couple days ago....... and Murphy must have been reading over my shoulder. It started seeping somewhere up front and today major blow out from the reservoir overflow. I did a pressure test and sure enough major leak in one of the radiator seams.

·
rusty shackleford
18 Posts
I'm having similar issues at 188K. New water pump - hoses (upper hose twice) - cap (twice) - mopar thermostat - i am now a master at bleeding these things (I also have a 3.7 which is very similar to the 4.7, of which the FIRST thing I did was an entire new cooling system).

First the upper hose molding separated and exploded. Then I replaced it. Then the new one did it after ~ 4 months. Then the next new one came with a bad cap and leaked almost the same and threw me for a loop. At times, it was deja vu. A bit of diligence and I quickly identified it all.

After a week, thought I had it licked and now I've started the infamous overflow leak.

I never overheat (but oh yeah, I've overheated her. I can hear my valve guides tick after the last blow out) - I run great - 0 signs of head gasket issues. I've been expelling coolant from the reservoir around the same time the upper hose went bad again. It's not violent - just a stream after its been running for 35 minutes and its stopped. I think the radiator is separating at seams. If you can't actually -hold- the pressure the cooling system is rated at, it's going to try its best to equalize to atmospheric pressure. I'll buy a mopar cap and new radiator this weekend and burp it again. Yeah, I should just order a compression tester since I lost my last one and see where she's at anyway.

If it's head gaskets, I'll get ready to rip out the 4.7 and go buy an actual daily. I doubt it, but this 3 week coolant whack-a-mole has me second guessing myself. But then i cringe at building the 4.7 and not the 5.9, Can't win 'em all I guess. This is the only 1 owner truck that was in my price range.

-Tuna

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is
When I had this same problem, I flushed the coolant, change the thermostat with a mopar one, pulled the water pump and made sure the impeller wasn't slipping and replaced the over flow tank hose. Refilled the system and purged the air then did a block test to check for combustion gases. It no longer sprays coolant from the over flow tank.
Have you checked flow thru the rad? Does the fan come on when you turn on the A/C?
it still fixed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still have to disagree;

"The cooling system is closed and designed to maintain coolant level to top of radiator.
Remove radiator cap. The coolant level should be to top of radiator.
"

If you ever suspect being low on coolant, you can not determine the level of the coolant in the radiator by the overflow bottle. Thats just a fact. Unless you have X-ray eyes, you can never see how much coolant is in the radiator. The only way to tell is to remove the radiator cap and look inside. If it's low, you add coolant to the radiator, not the overflow bottle.

Ed
There is no actual cap on the radiator, at least not on my 2004 Dakota 4.7. The cap is in the top radiator hose about half way to the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
/\

From the 2000 FSM:

"Do not remove radiator cap to add coolant to system. When adding coolant to maintain correct level, do so at coolant reserve/overflow tank."

and

"COOLANT LEVEL CHECK
The cooling system is closed and designed to maintain coolant level to top of radiator.
Remove radiator cap. The coolant level should be to top of radiator. If not, and if coolant level in coolant recovery bottle is at ADD mark, check for:
  • An air leak in coolant reserve/overflow tank or its hose
  • An air leak in radiator filler neck
  • Leak in pressure cap seal to radiator filler neck"
In a properly functioning system, you only add to the overflow.
If he had a properly functioning system, none of these problems would be happening. If the system is malfunctioning because of a leaky hose or a bad cap, you can't depend on the overflow reservoir to gauge system level. You just can't because it may be low and you'll never know it regardless of whatever the overflow tank has in it.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts