Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This afternoon i noticed that a small amount of coolant was leaking from the bottom center of the truck.

I thought it may be one of the hoses but checked them and they seemed to be dry.

There was not enough light outside to really check everything but i so drips falling from the crank pulley. I don't know if the leak could be originating from the crank pulley or is the water pump leaking and driping into the crank pulley which in turn, drips into the floor.

The leak only appears to be present when the truck is running if i shut it down, it stops.

Any thoughts, could it be the water pump? Is it recommended to just change it?

My truck is a 1998 5.2 with 120K on it.

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
id say water pump. easy check is to wiggle the clutch fan and see if the w/p pulley has play.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check the POS bypass tube on the driver's side of the pump also. Is a thin metal tube with a small oring and hose to the heater core. If it turn out to be the water pump order this tube and oring too. the second you take it apart usually the tip of it breaks at the oring groove and stays in the old pump. you won't be going any where without this tube in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts